• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Rob Feenie Sighting

A while back in this thread I mentioned I heard that Rob Feenie was opening a restaurant in TO and filming a pilot reality show associated with it. Unfortunately I couldn't remember where I had heard it. I was just watching Urban Rush with Rob Feenie as a guest and he himself talked about this. I pretty sure the Urban Rush show was a repeat as he said the pilot was being filmed just before/during the time he had his second child. Does anyone have the inside scoop of what happened or what will be happening with this?

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

Not Happening!!!!!!

Rob wants to be close to his family and Having a restaurant in TO would take away from that. The rumour now is that he wants to open another Feenie's locally.

Another show is also in the works.

Stay Tuned!!!!

^I've watched that documentary...very interesting! I love how it shows off Vancouver to those who might be unfamiliar with our fair city.

(I confess I watched the documentary twice because there is an asian girl who is wearing the exact same white/purple/pink tube top that I have in my closet, and I thought it could've been me (although I didn't remember wearing that top at Feenie's.) But alas, it is not... :sad::raz: )

• 2 weeks later...

Last week... halfway through my bowl of Chicken Penne Soup @ Ferris' Oyster Bar - I thought I saw Rob Feenie's face reflected in my spoon.

Look familiar?

feeniespoon.jpg

I turned around, and - sure enough - Chef Feenie (accompanied by a group of hockey fanistas) were chowing down on Ferris' signature hamburgers and fries - at the table right behind me!

I'm attempting to find out - from the Ferris staff - what transpired that night in Victoria.

Memo, Insider to the Stars

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

• 8 months later...
Apparently he is in hiatus as he is working on a brand new TV show but apparently it is very secretive as he could not disclose anything about it.

If memory serves me right (and it may not), I remember hearing that the next show he is working on centers around his new restaurant opening in Toronto. Does anyone know for sure? Unfortunately I can't remember where I heard this. It might have been from a TV interview with him or even here on eGullet.

The rumour of Rob Feenie opening a location in Toronto has resurfaced. This time in the Thursday Oct 5 2006 Vancouver Sun. Note that you need to be a subscriber to view. Anyone with more details?

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

Sun 'Trade Talk' article by Malcom Parry said David and Manjy Sidoo (the majority owners of Rob's biz) plan on opening a Lumiere/Feenies in TO by 2008 and a Lumiere in Vegas by 2010, plus an outlet at UBC. And Rob has lost 20 pounds, wants to lose 20 more, and is going to be in an Amex commercial. We can still count on Malcom to provide those crucially important details; the article spent more time on Feenie's and the Sidoo's physical fitness than on the restaurants.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

• 2 years later...

In Edmonton.

He returns in February for three days to be the first chef-in-residence at NAIT, to lead a variety of cooking classes with students and to host a lunch.

I'm confused. If he's the "chef-in-residence", doesn't that mean he has to live in Edmonton? Or will he be moving there?

• 1 month later...
In Edmonton. 
He returns in February for three days to be the first chef-in-residence at NAIT, to lead a variety of cooking classes with students and to host a lunch.

I'm confused. If he's the "chef-in-residence", doesn't that mean he has to live in Edmonton? Or will he be moving there?

I would think this coincides with the new Cactus Club opening at WEM

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef