• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flavored coffee at Dunkie Donuts

Fresser

I'm partial to getting my morning coffee fix at Dunkin Donuts (which, in the Fresser household, is called "Dunkie Donuts"), so a happy camper was I to see the new flavors they offer.

You can choose from blueberry, chocolate, cinnamon, marshmallow and other flavors, even mixing up to three separate flavors in one cup. So far I'm hooked on a medium chocolate decaf.

They even feature a "Flavorology" wheel that you can spin to determine your mystical flavor match.

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I'll have to respectfully disagree with the whole notion of flavored coffees. If you saw a list of the chemicals they use to make those flavorings your jaw might drop.

But it creates an additional need for those of us in the specialty coffee industry to work hard to educate our current consumers and potential customers about the benefits of fine single origin estate varietal coffee.

If you take your coffee sweetened I encourage you to try a high quality specialty coffee and use a dash of flavor syrup in it (e.g. Monin or Torani). You can control the amount of flavor, it will taste less artificial and you may even find yourself using less and less of it because the better coffee tastes so good unadulterated.

Just a thought....

I lived down the street from a Dunkin Donuts when I was in college, and somehow the turpentine tang of "hazelnut" and "french vanilla" would waft into my bedroom window every night and permeate my skin, my hair, my clothing...

I couldn't shake it. I smelled like a donut for two years. So I figure that all of the flavored coffee at Dunkin Donuts must invariably reek of fried cake, because that's what the storefronts smell like to me.

Blueberry coffee? Is that funny-sad or funny-haha? :huh::laugh: