• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heavy-duty Thermometers

devinf

I've got fritters on the menu right now and they've been quite successful, making me think I'll keep some sort of beignet/donut thing for awhile. I don't have a fryer I can use so just have a pot going on the stove.

My problem is the taylor thermometer I use is all but shot. After a couple of weeks, I can barely read the temp. This thing is in 370 oil for 5-6 hours a night and is just shot to hell. Rather than having to buy new every couple of weeks, can anyone recommend a good, heavy usage thermometer? Maybe a probe type?

Devin

One of our people has a probe thermometer that is very heavy duty. The cord is covered in silicone so you can immerse the whole probe and cord in whatever you're cooking and there's no damage. I don't know the brand, but unfortunately I he they bought it in France. I ask next time I see him in the kitchen.

One of our people has a probe thermometer that is very heavy duty. The cord is covered in silicone so you can immerse the whole probe and cord in whatever you're cooking and there's no damage. I don't know the brand, but unfortunately I he they bought it in France. I ask next time I see him in the kitchen.

Do you need to use a probe type thermometer for oil? Will a surface reading laser thermometer work? I was hoping to use one just for this purpose. I would think the temperature of the oil would be pretty uniform.

I use a digital with a probe and cord - one of those models with a hinge in the middle that look like a chubby flip phone that won't close all the way. It comes with a clip though which you insert the probe and then attach it to the fry pot. You can also pre=set a temp so it will alarm you when you have reached the selected temp. I usually set it about 15 degrees lower than I want in order to make adjustments to the flame level. I bought this in a kitchenwares store ... and I haven't looked in my local restaurant supply, which seems to have Taylor stem thermometers or laser surface reads, and not much in between.

I, too, would like to know the brand of the French model, as well as what others use. I like my Taylor, but the same thing happened to it: the numbers wore off and I couldn't read it.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum