• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Funniest Thing About Your Thanksgiving

Abra

Mine's an old one, but my grandmother always made T'giving dinner for us. When my folks moved to PA from Indiana, my mother, who didn't cook (and I mean, DID NOT COOK), tried to make the holiday dinner herself. Canned cranberry sauce, bagged stuffing mix, and instant mashed potatoes. We watched curiously as my father pulled something out of the not-quite-done turkey. It was the bag of giblets. He looked up, and after a pause, he said, "I think the Hilton is serving Thanksgiving dinner. What do you say we go on down there?"

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

It's possible that you had to be there to get this, but one of the new courses slkinsey did this year in our totally gorgeous and amazing multicourse meal was arctic char tartare with chive gelee (this was actually my favorite thing next to the brussels sprouts).

First of all, try saying "arctic char tartare," then visualize a table of twelve mildly tipsy people all repeating it to each other over and over and laughing our heads off. We sounded like a cross between the "pecan piiiiiiieeee" scene in When Harry Met Sally and the aliens from "Mars Attacks!"

Then, I took one look at the bright green (delicious, btw) chive gelee and blurted out to Eric_Malson "There's always room for jell-o!"  :laugh:

L

Soon after it opened, my wife and I went to the Modern to have a couple of apps and a glass of wine. Among the apps was, I think, char carpaccio. We both agreed that the dish should properly have been called char tartar, just for the fun of saying it.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Kathleen, that is hysterical! "Pecan piiiieeee" is one of my favorites of all time and we chant it every Thanksgiving :biggrin: I obviously didn't drink nearly enough booze this year!

Most memorable moments this year:

My DH ordering his grandmother to put the damn camera down during dinner... she just kept clicking away at everyone with full mouths!!!

The food was PERFECT (takes a bow) and my in-laws who notoriously only eat canned cranberry sauce totally macked up my homemade cranberry chutney! Yippee!!! Oh, I did get a really good laugh when my SIL asked for the recipe for my cranberry chutney (she had insisted on buying 2 cans of the canned stuff :blink:) and I started to rattle off ingredients because I just put it together and kept adjusting until it tasted right. She holds up her hand and says: "Um, remember who you are talking to, I cook maybe 3 things, do you have an actual recipe?" Bwahhahahahaha...good luck sistah! :wink:

This same SIL offered advise on how to carve the turkey... :hmmm:

Oh and she also had some real cajones to try to abscond with my glass of wine! I'm the one working all day in the kitchen and poured myself a glass of wine. She walks up and says, "Is that for me?" :blink: My reply? "Nope! But if you get yourself a glass I'll leave the bottle out!" Haha, I did have a laugh at that one too :raz: .

Edited by Genny (log)

Said to my boyfriend's 80-yr. old Grandma... "You have a happy plate Grandma!"

Grandma said, "It would be a lot happier if it had a slice of that pumpkin cheesecake on it!" Yes ma'am! :raz:

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Well, as I elaborated in another thread, our Thanksgiving plans went askew this year when at the last minute, several of the guests couldn't make it -- including one who had promised to bring the vegetable side dishes. Her husband couldn't remember what they were supposed to bring, so he and my husband put their heads together by phone (without consulting me, of course).

And that's how we ended up with three pies, one flan, and no vegetables at a Thanksgiving dinner for five people, three of whom have diabetes!

(Okay, on T-Day I pulled some chopped spinach out of the freezer and managed to concoct a veggie dish with some Parmesan cheese.... but still!)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I spent Thanksgiving this year participating in a community dinner sponsored by (among other organizations) my church's les/bi/gay/trans outreach committee and the San Diego chapter of the Imperial Court (a social organization that specializes in drag balls/competitions, and also does a ton of fundraising and other good works in the greater LGBT community). This made for a most "festive" gathering, to say the least!

To be sure, I only spotted one person officially in drag (the current reigning Empress of the local Court, who was serving as hostess/MC--she gamely stayed in her high heels far longer than I would ever have managed). But even several of the Court membership wearing "civilian" clothes for the day were sporting long, perfect, gorgeously manicured fingernails--I couldn't help laughing at the contrast with my own beat-up/chewed-on nails. :biggrin:

Anyway, we fed a whole lotta people, passed out a ton of door-prize gifts, and had a whole bunch of fun. And next year, I really need to remember to get my nails done before I go! :laugh:

Nearly lopping my finger off cutting bread cubes, of all things for the panzanella salad! I was laughing then thunk. I kept laughing but it is only now healed. Another scar, another tale to bore others with!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren