• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

My first single barrel bourbon

rabidscottsman

Eagle Rare 10 Year Old -- by far one of the best small batch bourbons out there.

Bulleit Bourbon Frontier Whiskey -- really smooth stuff, and has cool packaging as well, and an interesting history.

George Dickel Special Barrel Reserve (10 year) -- This is technically Tennessee Whiskey, not Bourbon, because its filtered through sugar maple charcoal, but its a great spirit just the same. If you can find a bottle of this stuff -- only a small amount from this small producer becomes their Special Reserve. Dickel is the only other distiller besides Jack Daniels that has the distinction of being Tennessee Whiskey -- and in my opinion its a much, much better whiskey than Jack Daniels.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Black Maple Hill is delightful. We did a tasting of their line last week and it was superb--wonderfully smooth yet w/ character.

Interestingly I liked the rye as much as the bourbon and I am not usually a rye drinker.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

As an avid single malt scotch and bourbon drinker who has tried most of them, my personal favs and, IMHO, the best out there would be: Pappy Van Winkle's (save some money and buy the 15 y/o over the 20), A.H. Hirsch 16 y/o, Jefferson Reserve, and Bookers. These are all pretty expensive ($50-80) but worth it in my book.

I have a bottle of Eagle Rare 17 y/o which is very good, though lighter in style from the above. A cheaper, though still very good, brand would include Woodford Reserve ($28). If you like bourbon then you would also probably like Rye, which is very good and tends to be cheaper. A bottle of Old Overholt (for about $12) is very smooth and quite enjoyable. A bottle of Michters small batch rye ($50), while expensive, is worth it. Hope these help and enjoy!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Anyone try the Buffalo Trace Bourbon?  http://www.buffalotrace.com/home2.html

I just bought a bottle of this a couple of days ago and had my first glass on the rocks tonight. Very tasty stuff. Nice caramel and vanillla notes with a hint of dessert spice and quite smooth. An almost grassy undertone in the background was quite pleasant as well.

This is currently on sale in PA for $19.99 and is well worth the cost of admission.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'm a big fan of the Van Winkle Special Reserve which chimes in at about $39 a bottle. I'll have to look for the George Dickel single barrel that Jason mentioned as I'd probably like that a lot seeing as the Dickel 12 year old is my evey day whiskey of choice.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Buffalo Trace fans (of which I am one) would do well to check out "Elmer T. Lee" the small batch bourbon named for Buffalo Trace's master distiller and KY living legend. Elmer is one of only 3 living men (to my knowledge there has never been an American whiskey named for a woman, a situation that we will no doubt remedy soon) to have a bourbon carry his name. Booker Noe's "Bookers" (which is overpriced for my way of thinking, and also just too darn high octane) is the second, and anyone who can name the 3rd with a special prize.

In the world of single barrel bourbons, Knob Creek has long been my standby favorite. We can debate about which is the best all year, but Know Creek is a “textbook’ bourbon long on flavor and not overly sweetened (Maker’s Mark) or smoked (Woodford Reserve) like some. However davidbdesilva's suggestion of Pappy Van Winlke meets with my hearty approval (if you can afford it).

All the whiskys suggested are fine in their own right. As a last thought I wanted to mention Sam Houston as a really interesting choice and a very different whiskey. It is lightbodied without being rare or weak, and consequently has an almost lemony aroma. I suppose its more of a summertime whisky. In any respcet, its not the finest Bourbon, but an interesting choice for someone wanting somethings new.

Alamut was the mountain fortress of Hassan i Sabbah and the later heads of the Assassins. Alamut represents more than just a physical place, more even than a symbolic home of the movement. Alamut was with you in what you did; Alamut was in your heart from the moment of your arrival and introduction to "Heaven" until the moment you died.

Dickel 12 year old is my evey day whiskey of choice.

Just for clarification, #12 and #8 are just the names, thats not how old they are. The Special Barrel Reserve is the oldest stuff they make.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Elmer is one of only 3 living men (to my knowledge there has never been an American whiskey named for a woman, a situation that we will no doubt remedy soon) to have a bourbon carry his name. Booker Noe's "Bookers" (which is overpriced for my way of thinking, and also just too darn high octane) is the second, and anyone who can name the 3rd with a special prize.

Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve, named for their master distiller, Jimmy Russell?

Elmer is one of only 3 living men (to my knowledge there has never been an American whiskey named for a woman, a situation that we will no doubt remedy soon) to have a bourbon carry his name. Booker Noe's "Bookers" (which is overpriced for my way of thinking, and also just too darn high octane) is the second, and anyone who can name the 3rd with a special prize.

What about Evan Williams and Baker's??

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Anyone try the Buffalo Trace Bourbon?  http://www.buffalotrace.com/home2.html

I like Buffalo Trace quite abit, but my daily bourbon is Knob Creek. It's a small batch bourbon aged 9 years and is 100 proof. Very tasty. The Eagle Rare is also nice. Don't care for the Woodford Reserve very much. Other fav's include Blanton's (probably my #1 choice), Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit and Russell's Reserve, Elijah Craig 18, and Weller's 12 year old. People here in KY are very serious about their Bourbon.

Michael Harp

CopperPans.com

What about Evan Williams and Baker's??

Basil Hayden's?

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Basil Hayden's?

Did a blind bourbon tasting of some dozen or so brands with friends a couple years ago, and Basil Hayden actually came out near the bottom.

If I remember correctly, we thought it was fine, but didn't have a lot of character, at least compared to the others we had tried.

Plus, it was one of the more expensive bottles on the list.

YMMV, if you like a lighter flavored bourbon.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Basil Hayden's?

Did a blind bourbon tasting of some dozen or so brands with friends a couple years ago, and Basil Hayden actually came out near the bottom.

If I remember correctly, we thought it was fine, but didn't have a lot of character, at least compared to the others we had tried.

Plus, it was one of the more expensive bottles on the list.

YMMV, if you like a lighter flavored bourbon.

Several years ago I bought a miniature of all four small batch bourbon's. Knob Creek was (and is) my favorite, and Basil Hayden's was last. I've never had anything but Knob Creek out of a full size bottle, but wouldn't think it should matter.

K

DarkSide Member #005-03-07-06

Dickel 12 year old is my evey day whiskey of choice.

Just for clarification, #12 and #8 are just the names, thats not how old they are. The Special Barrel Reserve is the oldest stuff they make.

Correctomundo. It is the VanWinkle Reserve which is 12 years old. All these numberS! The No 8 Dickel is decent enough stuff as well.

I must admit, spurred on by this thread I did go out tonight to splurge and get a bottle of the Pappy VanWinkle's Family Reserve 20 years old. Talk about good. Man will that stuff spoil you.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

I must admit, spurred on by this thread I did go out tonight to splurge and get a bottle of the Pappy VanWinkle's Family Reserve 20 years old. Talk about good. Man will that stuff spoil you.

Oh yeah, mon. That is the nectar right there. Color me envious.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Day to day I'll take Kentucky Spirit but if you happen to find a bottle of Wild Turkey Tribute, buy it! One of the best Bourbons ever made. Wild Turkey Rye is also tasty and a great bargin.

Ken (yes, you can tell from the avatar, I LIKE Wild Turkey products!)

As an avid single malt scotch and bourbon drinker who has tried most of them, my personal favs and, IMHO, the best out there would be: Pappy Van Winkle's (save some money and buy the 15 y/o over the 20), A.H. Hirsch 16 y/o, Jefferson Reserve, and Bookers. These are all pretty expensive ($50-80) but worth it in my book.

I have a bottle of Eagle Rare 17 y/o which is very good, though lighter in style from the above. A cheaper, though still very good, brand would include Woodford Reserve ($28). If you like bourbon then you would also probably like Rye, which is very good and tends to be cheaper. A bottle of Old Overholt (for about $12) is very smooth and quite enjoyable. A bottle of Michters small batch rye ($50), while expensive, is worth it. Hope these help and enjoy!

a dear friend of mine bought some Eagle rare and Buffalo Trace on her last trip home--my brother lives in england so I tend to give him gifts of bourbon. I gave him the eagle rare, and kept the Trace. The trace is excellent, with heavy notes of bitter chocolate... mmmm. I want some now, and it's only 9:30 in the morning! :blink:

"The Internet is just a world passing around notes in a classroom."

---John Stewart

my blog

• 7 months later...

I picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace Binny's Hand Picked earlier this year.

I've been trying to make my peace with it; but, have found it hard going.

It reminds me a lot of its close relatives, the Sazerac Ryes, except the lean, grassy, almost musty flavor I associate with those whiskies is even stronger and more apparent. It is also a very dry bourbon with little apparent sweetness.

I've been trying it in my usual 2 oz whiskey to 1/2 oz vermouth manhattans and finding them hard to drink. I really like Sazerac 6 manhattans made to this ratio. I'm begining to suspect I'm going to have to treat it like a scotch, and only include it in cocktails in dashes or equal (or more) vermouth to whiskey ratios.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA