• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

sub-letting commercial kitchen space

alligande

I am talking to a caterer about sharing/sub-letting her kitchen for wedding cakes etc. For the time being this will be part time and I am clueless as to what is an appropriate amount to be paying. If any one else is in a similiar position I would love some input.

Thanks Karen

Edited by alligande (log)

You might consider a percentage of your sale price, or just a flat rental rate - as you get busier your hours will increase and you should re-evaluate your situation every 6 months or so. If you're working around each other, how will you know their schedule and how will they know yours? You don't want to arrive thinking you can get the ovens for 4-6 hours and find out they have turkeys roasting in them!

Does occasional use mean you're not storing anything there? Are you using all their equipment or bringing in any of your own (sheet pans, speed racks, etc)? How much space will you be able to use in the walk-ins (will you have your own racks?)? What about deliveries (if your use is evenings and your stuff is delivered during the day?) Are you expecting to be able to leave your washing overnight or will you be able to use their dishwasher (staff or equipment). One of the issues I'd suggest dealing with up front is using each other's inventory - if something absolutely has to be borrowed, you should establish that it is replaced in 12, or 24 hours or whatever works for you and them. You never know when you'll have to borrow something, my landlord always calls me before she uses something to make sure she's not going to affect my next shift. If it happens, you'll want to know before you get in that you're short on eggs or whatever rather than walking in and finding out your short on something!

• 5 months later...

Way up here in NW Montana the going rate is $8-10 per hour. If you pay more than that you've got to take a good hard look at your production process to make sure you can create enough product to pay for ingredients, rent and cover your labor.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Smith

Glacier Country