• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican in Melbourne

Someone volunteering to do a Mexican dinner party in Melbourne somewhere??

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Shin,

I find that I reach for The art of Mexican Cooking most often. I haven't asked myself why, I just do. I think all of her books are great. The only problem here, in Australia, is getting the ingredients.

PCL, I think we should consider this seriously :rolleyes:

and Jango, If you have seeds I would love to have a few, Thank you!

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

The only problem here, in Australia, is getting the ingredients.

and Jango,  If you have seeds I would love to have a few, Thank you!

Huge problem with ingredients. Has anyone seen epazote? fresh tomatillos? achiote seeds?

Fou d B - I've put aside some chile seeds for you.

Fou,

There are loads of little outlets selling organic seeds of 'special' breed tomatoes. No rush, you've got a few months before plantingin early summer.

As for Mexican... it'll have to be at someone's place other than mine seeing as I'm virtually homeless at the moment, kind of doing the nomad thing.

• 3 weeks later...
The only problem here, in Australia, is getting the ingredients.

and Jango,  If you have seeds I would love to have a few, Thank you!

Huge problem with ingredients. Has anyone seen epazote? fresh tomatillos? achiote seeds?

Fou d B - I've put aside some chile seeds for you.

At the Spanish stores I have given their addresses above or Aztec Food can post them to you

Achiote is also known as anatto seeds (asian supply stores) used in Fiipino cooking

• 1 month later...

I'll chime in here. I grew chillis and tomatillos in Melbourne when I was living there. I did actually bring seeds in from the US. I declared them and customs let them through just fine. They were commercial packets. I figured if they confiscated them I'd only be out a little bit of cash.

Having said that I bought chilli seeds and tomatillo seeds at Garden World (going toward Frankston). There's also a heritage seed company, I think out of Tasmania? I can't remember the name of the company but their seeds were all sold in manilla yellow packages with drawings of the plant on the front.

Happy dreaming of spring! :)

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

• 1 month later...

Question back at you dan... how was it when you went? Good, fair, middling, poor?... Must have left an impression however, no?

Never heard of it myself although there is a Coyote something or another in Perth and they serve awesome Mojitos.... though not...quite... mexican...

I went to it the first week it opened back end-February (I think) this year. Great big good mains, odd frilly garnishes on plates, desserts a bit rich at the end. It's a family friend who's opened it, Lauraine set up some of the first Mexican restaurants in Melbourne in the 70s, then got ripped off by her (then) husband and business partner. So this is her comeback. Terribly friendly and sweet service. Found a blog that mentions them here:

http://viciousange.blogspot.com/2006/07/co...th-fitzroy.html

Dan