• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montana's Cookhouse

frogprincess

Looking for somewhere to take the father for a birthday meal in Langley. I have heard a few good things about Montana's for a few NON-foodies and I am looking for some imput from some real foodies.

And

If Montana's ends up being a miss can anyone suggest a good restaurant in Langey?

Thanks!

If Montana's is the chain restaurant on a country/western theme, then the food is not very good. But it all depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for a place to satisfy the average joe, then it's fine. But if your audience knows even a little about good food, then I'd suggest you find somewhere else.

There is nothing horrible about Montana's steakhouse ( I assume that you are talking about the chain). I think it would be a very good idea depending on your fathers age and what he enjoys eating. I myself would likely choose somewhere else but that is my perogative. If however your father really really cares about food and trying new things maybe Montanas is not the best choice as it is consistently the same no matter what city. Really it depends but for decent costs and reliable dining experience Montanas is a safe bet. I know for my grandparents taking them to lumiere or west would be totally lost on them . Anything outside of denny's is a real culinary experience so judge what you think your father will be comfortable with.

I have only 'experienced' the Montana's in Kelowna. It did not measue up to the '12+' (out of 20) points required to qualify for our annual Eating + Drinking Guide to BC.

For not much more money, you can tell your Dad you really love him, via the highly skilled cooking of Frederic Desbiens at Bacchus Bistro at Domaine Chaberton Winery. It's not overly complicated - just terrific flavours, clean cooking and expert saucing, reasonably priced.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Looking for somewhere to take the father for a birthday meal in Langley. I have heard a few good things about Montana's for a few NON-foodies and I am looking for some imput from some real foodies.

And

If Montana's ends up being a miss can anyone suggest a good restaurant in Langey?

Thanks!

The Montana's here is great for ribs and fries, which sometimes is all a person wants with a cold beer, you know? Take your Dad, you won't be dissapointed, or surprised. If you like Swiss Chalet like I do, you'll like Montana's. Which makes sense, because they share the same corporate overlord.

As a bonus, they tend to build these things around other entertainment, like strip malls and Silver City complexes, making parking a breeze for an all-evening affair.

-- Matt.

And

Thanks!

My apologies Matt, please don't take this personal....

....because they share the same corporate overlord.

Ack! :angry::blink::wacko:

As a bonus, they tend to build these things around other entertainment, like strip malls and Silver City complexes, making parking a breeze for an all-evening affair.

Cripes, do you have a S.C. there now too? By the way did you see the query about the "Snug", is it or going to be gone? I adored that place.

Surely there have to be better choices out there in one of the fastest growing areas in the greater lower mainland. If there is not, heck, I'd love to get together with another and create one. :smile: Jamie offered up an excellent suggestion, and I searched out a thread that might offer some options. However, if I may be so humble to offer an opinion, choose an alternative, unless an American chain themed restaurant (why the heck did "they" choose that?) is your thang..... ack, ack........ :shock:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I recently visited and wrote about a small restaurant in the heart of Langley that would fit the foodie bill. It is not as polished as Domaine de Chaberton (as mentioned by Jamie) but the food is fantatsic and good value. They also have a chefs table which is a nice feature. Here is the review:

A Memorable Seasonal Experience

For a truly unique and memorable dining experience in the valley (after a day of touring wineries and farms) we would suggest a visit to the Seasonal Experience. Chef Adrian Beatty and his wife, Shannon, own and operate a tiny restaurant and catering company in the heart of Langley. Chef Beatty prides himself on sourcing the best local ingredients from around the valley and province, and providing his guests with a dining experience that will allow them to experience the bounty of the region. We met Adrian during a Bishop & King’s dinner in the Similkameen Valley a number of weeks ago where we sampled his regional style of cooking right on a farm. This enticed us to return to his restaurant on a recent weekend when we sampled dishes such as pan-seared McClenan Creek Chevre wrapped in proscuitto, on top of a bed of caramelized Granny Smith apples and wilted rapini, topped with an organic prune-plum chutney. Other dishes included a rack of lamb with a lavender and port reduction, seared scallops on maple barley with local organic fall vegetables, roasted Similkameen Asian pears and a sugar pumpkin crème brulee, plus many more! In all Chef Beatty served us 14 different dishes over the course of the evening!

The dining room only has five tables and is located in a strip mall, but Shannon has put her touch on the cozy room to make it feel very welcoming. In the kitchen, the couple also has a chef’s table for two where you can keep an eye on everything being prepared and ask Chef Beatty as many questions as you please. The best way to describe eating at the Seasonal Experience is to liken it to eating in your best friend’s kitchen (who also happens to be a great chef). Don’t go expecting fancy cutlery, table linens or glassware, but do expect a dining experience that will introduce you to some amazing regional cooking and two people who love what they do in a little hidden restaurant in Langley!

Seasonal Experience

#118-20226 Fraser Highway

Langley, B.C

(604) 514-1311

(Reservations are strongly recommended in this five-table restaurant.)

gallery_20742_2106_93299.jpg

gallery_20742_2106_95039.jpg

gallery_20742_2106_20526.jpg

gallery_20742_2106_18957.jpg

gallery_20742_2106_37517.jpg

Edited by Edible Vancouver (log)

BTW Chef Beatty (from Seasonal Experience) took over the reins at La Folie when Chef Desbiens left.

I only recently heard about Seasonal Experience and plan to check it out one of these days.

Let us know where you end up going frogprincess...

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

My apologies Matt, please don't take this personal....
....because they share the same corporate overlord.

Ack! :angry::blink::wacko:

Cripes, do you have a S.C. there now too? By the way did you see the query about the "Snug", is it or going to be gone? I adored that place.

However, if I may be so humble to offer an opinion, choose an alternative, unless an American chain themed restaurant (why the heck did "they" choose that?) is your thang..... ack, ack........ :shock:

We even have a Wal-Mart, and 7-11, too! Things sure are heating up around here ... :raz:

I'm not really sure why two restaurants having the same ownership would make someone so mad, but there it is.

Why the hate on for chain restaurants? They deliver exactly what people want, and please their shareholders, too. What could be wrong with that.

Now that I'm officially off topic, which I actually tried to avoid Daddy-A (I swear) the Snug is still kicking. The owners (probably corporate too) wanted to close and demo/reno the whole property a year or so ago, but the municipality did not allow it, if I recall correctly. Whatever happens with the property, it is nearly 80 years old and has *huge* value so you can expect the hotel/restaurant/pub will remain part of the operation.

-- Matt.

Last time I was at Montana's in Langley, the service was not great and it's a really loud place. The seats are not very comfortable, either. As for the food, the french onion soup was microwaved to a rubbery lukewarm, the cheesbread was not hot and had unmelted cheese in the middle and when I complained, I was told "it's really busy today, we are doing our best". The rest of the food was barely ok. The wings are good tho.

I would for sure go somewhere else. Anywhere else. Olive Garden if necessary.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

The montana's here in saskatoon has some food that is good ie ribs and the burgers but other than that everything else is medicore. The other probelm is that the place is expensiove in comparisan to the other chain restaurants that line 8th St. I would not recommend going to Montana's. Ever. :raz:

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

To my understanding, Montana's is one of those Canadian-chain restaurants that felt they'd be less popular if they called it Alberta's!

My family took my grandmother there several years ago (for her birthday). Nothing more embarrasing than the birthday grandson (yo) being forced to wear sponge-foam moose antlers for the duration of the birthday song. :rolleyes:

If your father likes a little "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" ribbed into his Keg-based experience - then go for it!

Memo

Edited by Memo (log)

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.