• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Blue Mountain Area

• 1 year later...

Our family of four will be visiting Sydney in mid-March for almost 2 weeks. We are trying to decide what to visit outside of (but within driving distance) of Sydney for a day-trip or overnight trip. We are considering the Blue Mountains/Katoomba/Three Sisters region, Hunter Valley, North Shore. Do you have specific suggestions for good restaurants (both lunch and dinner) in these areas? Many thanks...

In the HUnter valley there are plenty of good places to eat; try Roberts, Amanda's on the edge or Esca for some fantastic food. If you go up Midweek there are some good food and accomodation specials. Good wineries to visit are Petersons, Tower Estate, Briar Ridge, Saddlers Creek and Moorebank among many others; avoid mcguigans, Mcwilliams, Draytons and Golden Grape. Foodwise there isn't too much to avoid; the competition seems to keep the quality up. Check out the wine country website for details of places to go.

Where do you mean by North Shore? Theres plenty of good restaurants between the Harbour bridge and Hornsby but more detail of exactly where you're going to be and what you want to see other than good food would help me narrow selections down

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Hi Truffles

If I was taking an o/seas family on a day trip or overnight from sydney, I would not hesitate in going to the Blue Mountains - and I'm a wine buff and love the Hunter :biggrin:

The Blue Mountains is about 2-3 hours out of Sydney and is a World Heritage area - something the Hunter never will be. There are fabulous views, magnificent walks and excellent restaurants. The Hunter is not much of a place for children - have to trudge along with parent to various wineries etc.- you could though include Newcastle forr the kids and go surfing - excellent beached there.

Have a look at this site on the Blue Mountains and see what you think.

http://www.bluemts.com.au/

I've also included a discount accommodation site which might be of some use which shows hotels, BB's etc. in places around Sydney which you can go for a week-end.

http://www.wotif.com/WotsCool.jsp?category=73&refId=1723

If you decide on the Blue Mountains happy to provide further info on restaurants etc - as I am sure Niall will.

Cheers

Paul - Sydney

Thank you, Niall and Paul, for the website links; they were most helpful.

We will definitely spend a day or two in the Blue Mountains. We were also considering a drive up through Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park towards Palm Beach. Any suggestions for lunch, etc?

Friends have also suggested a visit to Canberra. Bill Bryson's potrayal of his visit there in his book, In a Sunburned Country, is not favorable. How unfair is he?

A drive up through Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park towards Palm Beach is a wonderful and stunning drive. Good place for lunch and even stay overnight is Cottage Inn which Niall discusses in another thread. here is the website for it - the photos give you some idea how beautiful the stretch of water is up there.

http://www.bestrestaurants.com.au/booking/..._rest.asp?id=81

Regarding Canberra - there are some excellent restaurants, plus wineries nearby. There is actually quite a lot to see in Canberra and hopefully the autumn colors may have commenced. The National Gallery and Australian National Museum are both worth an extended visit.

My advice is if you wish to go to Canberra - about 3 hours non-stop drive south of Sydney is to travel via the Southern highlands thru the towns of Moss Vale, Mittagong, Bundanoon - again stunning scenery and nice places for morning teas etc. After Canberra why not travel across to the South Coast and motor up the coast - again some of the most stunning ocean scenery in NSW and there are lots of small beach towns to stay very cheaply.

Once you have locked up what you want to do can give some more suggestions on places to eat/stay etc.

Cheers

paul

Canberra certainly isn't the mosty scenic of places, but because of the local politician population there are some well rated restauraunts as paul said; I haven't done much eating there, but there are lots of things to do; bring the kids to Questacon; a reaaly good interactive science museum for one. There are also lots of nice walks and lake burley griffin is pretty scenic. While canberra might not be pretty (it looks like a big concrete uni campus) the countryside around it is very scenic. the best winerie in the region is clonakilla; there is some more information at this website

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

• 1 year later...