• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How best to puree?

mrsadm

A little Thanksgiving preparation frustration here .... hope you can help.

Yesterday I made cream of mushroom soup and after cooking used my Cuisinart small food processor to do the puree (in batches of course).

Then to strain through a fine strainer.

What was supposed to yield 8 servings is more like 5 and I had a lot of solid stuff left over from the straining. GRRRR

Did I not puree long enough to break down the soup particles? Is a small food processor not good enough for the job? What would be better - a blender or a large food processor? What do restaurant kitchens use for pureeing?

The strainer I used is very fine but I like the results, the strained soup is very creamy and smooth.

Thanks for any advice!

Linda

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"

Did I not puree long enough to break down the soup particles?  Is a small food processor not good enough for the job?

It sounds like it. Do you still have the chunky bits?? Perhaps you could puree them again with a little stock and add to the rest of your soup?? I use a blender usually or a barmix. I would suspect that the only problem with using the smaller blender would be that you would have to do more batches and perhaps be more patient.

I love my stick blender for things like this.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I agree with using the immersion blender. You can work right in the cooking pot and it will puree just about everything. I prefer to do it before I adjust the seasoning and then add milk or cream before straining. There is usually very little left in the strainer.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

to maximise our puree soups at work, we blend with a stick blender and then when we fill the conical sieve we then put the stick blender in the sieve, the guard keeps the blade away from the egde and blitz, this works the soup through the sieve with extremely little waste.

Otherwise, take the soup you have and simmer with some stock and cream to bulk it out, the flavour should carry if you don't over do-it and you will end up with a nice creamy veloute of mushrooms.

Alex.

after all these years in a kitchen, I would have thought it would become 'just a job'

but not so, spending my time playing not working

www.e-senses.co.uk

to maximise our puree soups at work, we blend with a stick blender and then when we fill the conical sieve we then put the stick blender in the sieve, the guard keeps the blade away from the egde and blitz, this works the soup through the sieve with extremely little waste.

Great idea, Alex.

A food processor isn't good for fine purees; you'll always get bits that don't get pulverized. I use a food mill if I want to strain out some bits, like tomato seeds, skin, or strings from stuff like celery. I used to use a regular blender, but now use an imersion blender almost exclusively for soups.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

another vote here for immersion blender!

got one last year. havent stopped making creamy soups since!

one of the best purchases ive made in the last several years. i think the only thing that i like more is the microplane that i bought...

good luck, whatever way you go.

"Bibimbap shappdy wappdy wap." - Jinmyo