• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pictorial: Oyster w/ Roast Pork in Clay Pot

hzrt8w

[...]The idea behind cooking jook in the new pots is to seal the micro cracks to prevent further damage that makes the cracks larger.

I saw some documentary programs on Discovery that they discovered that workers used rice portridge (congee) as an agent to glue the stones together in building The Great Wall. When dried and harden, congee is really strong.

Ah Leung!!!Ben and I just finished explaining to miladyinsanity that Cantonese congee is not glue! :angry::rolleyes::laugh:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

[...]The idea behind cooking jook in the new pots is to seal the micro cracks to prevent further damage that makes the cracks larger.

I saw some documentary programs on Discovery that they discovered that workers used rice portridge (congee) as an agent to glue the stones together in building The Great Wall. When dried and harden, congee is really strong.

Ah Leung!!!Ben and I just finished explaining to miladyinsanity that Cantonese congee is not glue! :angry::rolleyes::laugh:

oh hahahah that was funny....my coworkers probably think I'm nuts....I laugh all the time by myself while reading some of the funny comments on here...speaking of which, this is what I do all day, read eGullet......thank G*d for this site otherwise I'd be bored the hell ova here :raz:

well this technique seems to work well, coz i did try out my first pot when I got it and it was leaking quite a bit all over, and i even lifted it up on a trivet just to make sure it was coming from the pot and not just condensation. and now 5 clay pots later....they're all sealed now, but im still kinda wary about preheating it with full blast high on top of the stove...so i do it gradually, eventually it gets to that favorable hot pot temperature as well. I love using claypots in most dishes I make stove top, and very energy efficient. once you turn the stove on high and then let the pot boil, turn it down to the lowest setting and it will still keep it boiling on slow simmer, and another wonderful thing i noticed is the liquids dont evaporate as fast, so you can leave stews slow cooking the whole day.....imagine that!!! :wub:

...a little bit of this, and a little bit of that....*slurp......^_^.....ehh I think more fish sauce.

Ah Leung!!!Ben and I just finished explaining to miladyinsanity that Cantonese congee is not glue! :angry::rolleyes:  :laugh:

But congee is glue if you look at it from a different angle. :smile:

The lantern that you play with in Mid-Autumn festival. How is the paper binded to the bamboo stick skeleton and other paper? Glue that is made from rice + water.

The old paper umbrella, kite... all need glue.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

• 2 years later...
Oyster with Roast Pork and Tofu in Clay Pot (火腩生蠔煲)

No Cantonese style restaurants can claim to be real Cantonese unless it offers clay pot entrees on the menu.  Delicious ingredients, braised to perfection, served sizzling hot in a clay pot in front of you.  Great when the weather turns cold.  There are many different clay pot entrees available.  This dish uses oyster, roast pork and tofu braised in a sauce made with chicken broth, brown bean sauce, oyster sauce and soy sauce.

Dedicated to pcbilly.

one of my all-time favorite dishes both at home and at one of my favorite restaurants, Golden City in Kearny Mesa (San Diego). thanks for your recipe...I have found such a recipe in only one of my many cookbooks!

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com