• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

err...

jsolomon

gallery_9620_1295_19647.jpg

This is in a Gruner Veltliner that I have in my possession. Any ideas?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I can't really tell from the picture (although I appreciate your effort) but it may be tartrate crystals. These are formed from the tartaric acid that is in the wine, especially when the wine is exposed to cold temps. Its harmless and virtually tasteless but should probably be decanted out as it does have a textural quality akin to salt crystals.

Or it could just be sediment if this is an unfiltered wine.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Yes, not to worry. Jso, with your background in chemistry you won't need an explanation of tartrates, but for the benefit of our other members . . . tartaric acid is one of several fruit acids in a grape, and therefore in wine. Sometimes when a wine is deeply chilled the tartaric acid will precipitate out as crystals. If the bottle is still in its case box, cork down, the crystals will form on the cork, which can be a little startling, because it looks as if there's cut glass all over the cork after you pull it. The crystals are harmless, however. You can even lick them!

Many wineries "cold stabilize" their wines at the winery, which is really just a fancy way of saying "let's chill the heck out of it and see what falls out before we send it off to the stores!" :wink:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook