• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pink Door

I have been an 'active diner' in Seattle for about 10 years, and for the entire decade, just about every time I meet someone else who likes to go out to eat, they tell me how much they LOVE the Pink Door.

I've probably been there half a dozen times, and frankly, to me the food barely rises to mediocre. Every time I tell someone this, they look at me as if I've just been hitting the crack pipe. I don't get it! I can think of 10-15 Italian restaurants in the greater Seattle area off the top of my head that I think are far superior to the PD. Am I the only one out there/here that feels that way (other than my wife)?!?!?!?

I'm really not trying to start a war over this, but I need to know...... :huh:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I like going there for drinks and sharing an antipasti platter with a friend. I go there because I find the atmosphere to be near PERFECT.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I've been to the PD once. The atmosphere is great, the food okay. Laurie had a fish special, some halibut and pancetta thing, that was really good. I had a pedestrian orecchiete with broccoli rabe and sausage. Apps were unmemorable. I'm not one of these "you must always seek the best possible food at every moment" types, so I could easily see myself going back there, especially for a drink and snack.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I think the Pink Door has a great atmsophere, but I have no idea about the food.

When I lived in Ballard in the early 90s, my roommate and I would take the bus to the market and wander around for hours. I have the best memories of winding up sipping too many glasses of sangria on the rooftop deck of The Pink Door and then stumbling to the Crocodile Cafe (or the old Off Ramp if we could find a cab) to hear a really loud, obnoxious grunge band. That pretty much sums up every sunny weekend in the early 90's for me :)

As for the food, I don't think I've ever even eaten anything there beyond an appetizer :) It's all about the atmo baby.

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

I'm not one of these "you must always seek the best possible food at every moment" types

OK, so far I have 3 endorsements of the atmo, and I have to admit that the terrace on a nice day is lovely. Are there not apologists for the PD cuisine out there?!?!

Mamster's comment in his post strikes me as interesting. Obviously virtually none of us has the resources to eat absolutely the best food available at all times. If I did, my weeks would consist of rotating dinners at Le Gourmand, Harvest Vine, The Herb Farm, Cassis and Ponti, with a couple 'float' days for other places, but I digress. Obviously we make tradeoffs when we choose where to go eat, but, other than trying a new place that we know little or nothing about, why wouldn't you always choose the place that offers the highest value combination of food quality, atmosphere and service given the amount of money and time you have available?? In case you hadn't figured it out yet, I'm an economist by trade.... :shock:

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

I find the Pink Door to be one of the most pleasant places in the downtown area. As far as food is concerned, I think the antipasti plate is pretty tasty, and big enough to share. I've had an excellent greens/beets/walnut salad there as well. I've never eaten in the restaurant area, because that's not why I go there. So maybe I'm the wrong person to even comment.

As far as the magic combination of food quality/atmosphere/service is concerned, my boundaries are very fluid. I could probably have a great time eating at the taco truck if the food was really tasty. I like eating at good barbecue places, but you're usually eating out of a plastic basket lined with paper. Not very glam. My favorite Chinese restaurant has really lousy ambience.

I guess I just don't exactly get what you're driving at, what you're trying to get people to say.

As they say, YMMV.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

In most things with variable factors, sometimes one or another weighs in most heavily. A good patio and a cold drink on a summer evening may be more important than the food. A place that can accommodate a squirrely two year...someplace close to your entertainment venue...

For TPD, I had a great plate of pasta in the past, haven't been lately. Don't recall the make-up of the dish, but do recall the service being less than stellar.

tighe: None of your places are downtown or at the Market. Where do you eat downtown?

I'm embarrassed - of your fav's, I'm only been to Ponti! Not for lack of trying - the others are high on my want to try list. Thanks for the reminder.

Certainly there are LOTS of different factors that get weighed into the decision of where to eat. I often eat at BBQ joints, taco stands and the like, and love it. The value of each criteria that gets weighed into the decision varies not only from person to person, but from day to day. I'm just saying that if you took two, let's say BBQ places, that have roughly the same atmo, price level, convenience, blah, blah, blah, wouldn't you always pick the one with better food? I don't think I'm really trying to "get" anyone to say anything, but if I am, it's to find out why those that love the PD love it and, more recently, if mamster (and others) is saying that he would choose something other than the best food available all other things being equal, or if he's simply saying that there are many factors that go into choosing where to eat and food quality alone doesn't trump all the others for him.

As far as where I like to eat downtown, and these would all appear regularly in the two 'floating' spots in my rotation....

Painted Table, at least before Tim left

Maximilien

Le Pichet

El Puerco Lloron

Cafe Paloma (if you consider PS part of downtown)

Elliot's

Dahlia Lounge

MY GOD! How could I forget one of my absolute favorites downtown... :wacko:

iCON

Actually, it's been a while since I've been to Elliot's for dinner. Often I go there for the same reasons that many in this thread cite for going to the PD...sitting outside with a nice view to have some apps and drinks. I will say that Elliot's can be a little hit and miss with very few clues as to when or where the misses will come. I had the planked salmon the last time I was there and thought it was very good. Their oysters and smoked fish have always been reliable. They sometimes get themselves in trouble when they try to do something fusion/Pacific Rim-ish. I'm also a fan of their Cioppino.....

The atmosphere and patio are cool. How can the food be consistent when they go through chefs like flies. That should be the question. Why do they lose chefs and when are the good ones there?

I am sad that My Blue Onion is not one your list (vbg).... that is for an economist!

Papachef, despite the best of intentions I have to admit I haven't made it to BOB yet. I'm well on the road to hell I'm sure. Living in the South End, I just don't find my way to the U District/Ravenna/Green Lake area very much. The whole area is like a gaping hole in my culinary experience in Seattle. I will commit to trying your place, as I've heard nothing but positives about it, before the end of the summer.....