• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sign in to follow this  
phaelon56

Nalgene bottle as a press pot

Despite the fact that I'm opposed on so many levels to using plastic as a vessel to brew or serve coffee... this new gizmo sure looks handy for backpackers and other travelers who need to pack light.

Press-Bot

My sister broke so many glass press pots that I finally got her one made of Lexan. It's encased in a steel cage for travel, but it just travels from her sink to her counter and back. I also got her a stainless steel travel mug sized one, for when she has to be at the gym and needs her caffeine. Guess what happened? She uses the travel mug press all the time lately! So, now she has 2 presses sitting on the already busy counter... :blink:

This is EXACTLY the kind of news that rekindles my belief that man is resiliant and continually on the lookout for ways to improve the human condition.

This is EXACTLY the kind of news that rekindles my belief that man is resiliant and continually on the lookout for ways to improve the human condition.

And at $20 a pop these are bound to improve someone's micro-economy. It doesn't even include the price of the bottle.

I'll take Lexan over other plastics any time but gimme good old 18/10 stainless steel and I'll be much happier.

And at $20 a pop these are bound to improve someone's micro-economy. It doesn't even include the price of the bottle.

I'll take Lexan over other plastics any time but gimme good old 18/10 stainless steel and I'll be much happier.

Here you go http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...mberId=12500226

I have been backpacking my whole life, and up until now, I never realized that Nalgene was heat-resistant. As it must be if you are using it as a French press container. Amazing.

Have you seen the AeroPress? it is a press-style coffee maker invented by the guy who created the Aerobie flying ring (like a frisbee, but just a ring).

Here is information on it.

It is like a French press, but it is straight through rather than pressing the grounds down then pouring out the top, you press straight through.

I've had coffee made with it and it is very good - not the same as espresso at all of course, but for regular coffee brewing it is pretty good.

It is plastic and appears to be tough.

Have you seen the AeroPress?  it is a press-style coffee maker invented by the guy who created the Aerobie flying ring (like a frisbee, but just a ring).

Here is information on it.

It is like a French press, but it is straight through rather than pressing the grounds down then pouring out the top, you press straight through.

I've had coffee made with it and it is very good - not the same as espresso at all of course, but for regular coffee brewing it is pretty good.

It is plastic and appears to be tough.

Picked one of these up, since its cheap, and might be a potential workaround for my upcoming holiday Coffee Hell.

Doesn't quite have the body of french press and definitely not the delicious fine foam you would find on a good espresso.

On the plus side, it is very fast, not messy at all, easy to clean, and makes a very good highly concentrated cup of coffee. Especially, it seems to give excellent expression to the aroma of the bean. I think it would be perfect for an office setting. All you would need is a cup, the Aeropress, ground beans, and something to heat your water.

Edited by eje (log)

Have you seen the AeroPress? 

I just got reminded of this (hat-tip to www.digg.com)

Do you really brew this for 30 total seconds? Egads, that doesn't sound like long. But, for some applications, my melitta 1-cup doesn't quite work--it doesn't fit well on my thermos that I take to classes. So, I'm looking for alternatives.

Has anyone had more experience with this? What are the required brew temperatures? What do extended brew times do?

Nalgene containers are remarkably really and indispensible. They are extremely heat and cold resitant. I freeze water inside to put into a cooler for car trips - kills two birds with one stone and once it thaws, you have cold drinking water.

I have never seen the press but it is a great invention. At $20, a little steep though.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By catdaddy
      Mrs catdaddy has been good this year and I'm considering buying a Rancilio Silvia as a Christmas present. I know this machine gets a lot of love here, especially when outfitted with a PID. After reading many posts I'm just wondering if there is anything new (since 2013 say) I should know about  the Rancilio or other great machine on the market?

Also any tips about use and/or essential other tools.....like a good knock box. We've got a great grinder already.
    • By Fernwood
      Anyone familiar with this little joint in the Village?  I assume some Brazilian roots because of items like pao de queijo and brigadeiros on the menu.  I would love to know about the coffee in the latte my husband brought me--such a bright flavor, not at all like typical espresso of my experience.  At home in CT we have access to a pretty great local roaster with quite a range of coffees.  I wish I knew about the coffee in that O Cafe latte so I could try for something similar from Willoughby's.  
    • By alacarte
      I recently took a trip to Northern Italy, and was delighted to find that the cappuccino everywhere was just wonderful, without exception. Smooth, flavorful, aromatic perfect crema, strong but not too strong.
      Aside from the obvious answer (duh, Italians created cappuccino ), what makes Italian capp so fantastic, and how do I duplicate the effect here?
      I'm wondering if it's the water, the way the coffee is ground or stored, the machines used....I'm baffled.
      Also noticed that the serving size tended to be smaller than what I'm used to -- i.e. a small teacupful vs. a brimming mug or Starbucks supersize. Not sure why that is either.
      Grazie mille for any insight on this!
    • By thecuriousone
      Hi everybody-
      Where can I find a recipe for mit schlage? I would like to make some coffee drinks for the holidays and top them with it. I havent been able to find anything other than a basic whipped cream recipe. Thanks for all of your help.
    • By Kasia
      INSTEAD OF COFFEE? - MORNING GREEN COCKTAIL

After waking up, most of us head towards the kitchen for the most welcome morning drink. Coffee opens our eyes, gets us up and motivates us to act. Today I would like to offer you a healthy alternative to daily morning coffee. I don't want to turn you off coffee completely. After all, it has an excellent aroma and fantastic flavor. There isn't anything more relaxing during a busy day than a coffee break with friends.

In spite of the weather outside, change your kitchen for a while and try something new. My green cocktail is also an excellent way to wake up and restore energy. Add to it a pinch of curcuma powder, which brings comfort and acts as a buffer against autumn depression.

Ingredients (for 2 people):
      200ml of green tea
      4 new kale leaves
      1 green cucumber
      half an avocado
      1 pear
      1 banana
      pinch of salt
      pinch of curcuma

Peel the avocado, pear and banana. Remove the core from the pear. Blend every ingredient very thoroughly. If the drink is too thick, add some green tea. Drink at once.

Enjoy your drink!