• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nalgene bottle as a press pot

phaelon56

I have a press made out of Lexan for camping.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

My sister broke so many glass press pots that I finally got her one made of Lexan. It's encased in a steel cage for travel, but it just travels from her sink to her counter and back. I also got her a stainless steel travel mug sized one, for when she has to be at the gym and needs her caffeine. Guess what happened? She uses the travel mug press all the time lately! So, now she has 2 presses sitting on the already busy counter... :blink:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

This is EXACTLY the kind of news that rekindles my belief that man is resiliant and continually on the lookout for ways to improve the human condition.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

This is EXACTLY the kind of news that rekindles my belief that man is resiliant and continually on the lookout for ways to improve the human condition.

And at $20 a pop these are bound to improve someone's micro-economy. It doesn't even include the price of the bottle.

I'll take Lexan over other plastics any time but gimme good old 18/10 stainless steel and I'll be much happier.

And at $20 a pop these are bound to improve someone's micro-economy. It doesn't even include the price of the bottle.

I'll take Lexan over other plastics any time but gimme good old 18/10 stainless steel and I'll be much happier.

Here you go http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s...mberId=12500226

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I have been backpacking my whole life, and up until now, I never realized that Nalgene was heat-resistant. As it must be if you are using it as a French press container. Amazing.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Have you seen the AeroPress? it is a press-style coffee maker invented by the guy who created the Aerobie flying ring (like a frisbee, but just a ring).

Here is information on it.

It is like a French press, but it is straight through rather than pressing the grounds down then pouring out the top, you press straight through.

I've had coffee made with it and it is very good - not the same as espresso at all of course, but for regular coffee brewing it is pretty good.

It is plastic and appears to be tough.

Nathan

• 2 weeks later...
Have you seen the AeroPress?  it is a press-style coffee maker invented by the guy who created the Aerobie flying ring (like a frisbee, but just a ring).

Here is information on it.

It is like a French press, but it is straight through rather than pressing the grounds down then pouring out the top, you press straight through.

I've had coffee made with it and it is very good - not the same as espresso at all of course, but for regular coffee brewing it is pretty good.

It is plastic and appears to be tough.

Picked one of these up, since its cheap, and might be a potential workaround for my upcoming holiday Coffee Hell.

Doesn't quite have the body of french press and definitely not the delicious fine foam you would find on a good espresso.

On the plus side, it is very fast, not messy at all, easy to clean, and makes a very good highly concentrated cup of coffee. Especially, it seems to give excellent expression to the aroma of the bean. I think it would be perfect for an office setting. All you would need is a cup, the Aeropress, ground beans, and something to heat your water.

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 1 month later...
Have you seen the AeroPress? 

I just got reminded of this (hat-tip to www.digg.com)

Do you really brew this for 30 total seconds? Egads, that doesn't sound like long. But, for some applications, my melitta 1-cup doesn't quite work--it doesn't fit well on my thermos that I take to classes. So, I'm looking for alternatives.

Has anyone had more experience with this? What are the required brew temperatures? What do extended brew times do?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Nalgene containers are remarkably really and indispensible. They are extremely heat and cold resitant. I freeze water inside to put into a cooler for car trips - kills two birds with one stone and once it thaws, you have cold drinking water.

I have never seen the press but it is a great invention. At $20, a little steep though.