• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dip idea needed for veggie tray

pam claughton

Every Thanksgiving, we gather in the oversized kitchen at my sister's mother-in-law's house, and sip champagne or prosecco and nibble on appetizers while the final cooking wraps up. We always have two very rich appetizers, stuffed mushrooms with a buttery bread filling, and brie, baked in puff pastry with apricot or raspberry jam. I said I'd bring a third dish, something light, and thought a veggie tray would be good, with some kind of an interesting dip.

Any suggestions? I could do the old standbys, a ranch or onion or leek sour cream thing, but wanted to see if anyone has something a bit more interesting?

Thanks!

Pam

One year I did a variation on the dip to more of a Southwest thing. I didn't measure and just tasted as I went while adding things to the sour cream. I remember ancho chile powder, ground cumin, diced pickled jalapeno, garlic, onion, I forget what else. The ancho made it a pretty color.

Actually, if the turkey frier is going, the whole thing usually gets dumped in there. Then our crowd will actually eat it. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I know it's old school, but how about Green Goddess dressing/dip?

Here's a recipe from the food network chefs:

Green Goddess Dressing

Or this one from Tyler Florence:

Tyler Florence's Green Goddess Dressing

To make them both thicker for a dip, I would probably lower the mayo and increase the sour cream.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix, sour cream. Much more interesting than just onion or leek dip - I think it does have leeks, and also other veggies. Everyone I've served it to loves it, even a not-veg friendly 11-year-old boy.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

one of my new favorites: roasted red peppers pureed with fresh garlic, basil, chevre and cream cheese, salt and pepper - splash of balsamic optional.

Hi Pam R this sounds so delicious. I've been looking for an easy red pepper dip. May I ask is this basically a "dump" recipe or is there a specific order to pureeing the ingredients? Also, have you tried a splash of sherry wine vinegar? Do you think it would work?

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Knorr Vegetable Soup Mix, sour cream. Much more interesting than just onion or leek dip - I think it does have leeks, and also other veggies. Everyone I've served it to loves it, even a not-veg friendly 11-year-old boy.

my standby is this made with half sour cream, half mayo and a bunch of fresh spinach chopped in the food processor. It must be fresh spinach, trust me.

Hi Pam R this sounds so delicious.  I've been looking for an easy red pepper dip.  May I ask is this basically a "dump" recipe or is there a specific order to pureeing the ingredients?  Also, have you tried a splash of sherry wine vinegar?  Do you think it would work?

I like to puree the peppers, garlic and basil before adding the cheeses - but you could do it all at one time. I think you get a smoother puree doing those items first... but there's no reason why it wouldn't work if it was a little chunkier.

I'm never been able to find sherry wine vinegar that's kosher so I haven't tried it - but I think it would work well. Why not? :wink:

Now in RecipeGullet

Edited by Pam R (log)

I ended up going with a hummus dip I've made before and forgot all about. It's a blend of roasted red pepper hummus, feta cheese, sour cream or greek yogurt, chopped artichokes, and you can also add cheddar or mozzarella (I didn't though this time). You mix it all, and microwave or bake until it all melts a bit, and stir to let the flavors blend. If you are serving it with the cheddar or mozz, it's best to heat before serving, so it gets all gooey. I'm just serving mine cold, and did the heating ahead, so the flavors would blend.

Happy Thanksgiving!

:) Pam

Spinach Dip. Its cooked spinach blended with sour cream and a knorr mix.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hi Pam R this sounds so delicious.  I've been looking for an easy red pepper dip.  May I ask is this basically a "dump" recipe or is there a specific order to pureeing the ingredients?  Also, have you tried a splash of sherry wine vinegar?  Do you think it would work?

I like to puree the peppers, garlic and basil before adding the cheeses - but you could do it all at one time. I think you get a smoother puree doing those items first... but there's no reason why it wouldn't work if it was a little chunkier.

I'm never been able to find sherry wine vinegar that's kosher so I haven't tried it - but I think it would work well. Why not? :wink:

Now in RecipeGullet

Thanks so much Pam R. I didn't do a relish tray for Thanksgiving. I just like having dips and raw vegetables around in general for munching.

Hope you and everyone else had a great Thanksgiving.

Too late for a Thanksgiving dip, but a dip I like, and in fact made for Thanksgiving, is half mayo, half sour cream or strained yogurt blended quickly in the food processer with pitted Kalamata olives and capers - enough to make the dip chunky. It ends up kind of complex tasting, a little sweet, sour and salty.

Well, these may not be terribly original or inventive, but I like to make a homemade blue cheese dip--not dressing--at least once during the holidays.

I usually combine an 8-ounce package of softened cream cheese with the same amount of blue cheese, a half pint of sour cream and a teaspoon of onion powder, and mix them together with an immersion blender.

Or I might just whip up some chipotle mayonnaise. Maybe tossing some cream cheese in might make the consistency a little thicker.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3