• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any Calgarians Here? Il Sogno's Chef?

merlin

Have heard a rumour that Chef Gieuseppe Di Gennaro has left my favourite Italian restaurant in Calgary, Il Sogno in "Bridgeland".

Any truth to that?

I see that their website www.ilsogno.org/ no longer "features" him whereas formerly he was identified as executive chef and co-owner.

That would indeed be a shame...unless of course he has opened up his own spot elsewhere...as his food was superb.

Thank you Mike.

I hope he "surfaces" somewhere soon.

I enjoyed several outstanding meals when he was there. In fact, my wife and I were thinking about driving down to Calgary and Il Sogno was one post where we were going to go...guess I have saved myself a few bucks...having just received another Mastercard installment from my Vancouver Island trip that might not be a bad thing :rolleyes:

According to another culinary website Gieuseppe has been seen around town lending a hand at a couple of restaurants, Teatro and La Tavola (Penny Lane). I have not yet heard if he's found a permanent home or who the potential attractors for his talents are.

It is a shame he's left Il Sogno but it doesn't mean I won't return, change can be a good thing!

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Amateur with dreams of grandeur

• 1 month later...
Read that the new executive chef is Emil Shellborn (from Winnipeg?).

Also read that his assistant was Glen Manzer (ex-executive chef of River Cafe), but things did not work out.

I read that Glen Manzer is now at Wildwood - ( I have only been there for weekend brunch) IMHO best brunch in the city (although becoming more popular and crowded - service isn't as good :sad: - but still worth the visit)