• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Here. There. Everywhere.

I've heard so many descriptions of the 'secret' of Italian cuisine - the majority of which talk about time-honored techniques coaxing the goodness (taste) from the freshest ingredients. I was wondering what you think the difference is between the same dish prepared in say, Rome or New York (e.g., artichokes), Sorrento or San Francisco (e.g., fish)?

Thank you very much for your participation here, I look forward to reading your replies.

It's by far the ingredients. Although we do have great artichokes now here in the U.S., I must say that I've never tasted anything like the traditional Roman artichoke. It's the land.

Italy has always had such a great selection of fresh produce, meat and other products. But America is getting better and better everyday. In fact, there are some products that we use in the restaurants that our Italian chefs claim are actually even better and more flavorful than what you find in Italy.