• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Son of a...!

jsolomon

So, I was just hacking away at some onion for a risotto (my first ever) when there was a nice burn in my thumb... yep, got myself a decent cut.

What do you do when you're cooking something and end up putting a dash of yourself in with the food? Keep cooking? Toss it out and start over? What are your conditions for one or the other?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I used to work in a retreat house and one of the priests had a habit of taking a walk in the afternoon and then coming into the kitchen and having a glass of coffee and a little chitchat with me.

One afternoon I was mixing potato salad in a big bowl with my hands and he murmured, "I wonder how many of your epithelial cells we've eaten."

I used to work in a retreat house and one of the priests had a habit of taking a walk in the afternoon and then coming into the kitchen and having a glass of coffee and a little chitchat with me.

One afternoon I was mixing potato salad in a big bowl with my hands and he murmured, "I wonder how many of your epithelial cells we've eaten."

that's funny! and unfortunatly quite true, but if you take it literally you will never sleep in an hotel bed again....

Yeah... if only my case were epithelial cells instead of corpuscles.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

So, I was just hacking away at some onion for a risotto (my first ever) when there was a nice burn in my thumb... yep, got myself a decent cut.

What do you do when you're cooking something and end up putting a dash of yourself in with the food?  Keep cooking?  Toss it out and start over?  What are your conditions for one or the other?

Keep cooking. A little blood can only improve the flavor of the sauce.

:biggrin:

I recently cut the shit out of my thumb with a serrated knife (OUCHIE) - was using it to slice a not-so-fresh mini bagel. My bad. Have a pretty scar now.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

If I'm cooking for myself, I try to undo as much damage as I can, and then continue.

If I'm cooking for anyone else, I do not continue. If I can't lift out the contaminated portion, I chuck it and start over.

Eating something with my own blood in it is one thing. But I wouldn't appreciate someone else serving me something that had been contaminated --even if it was cooked later-- and I won't do it to others.

My most spectacular kitchen injury involved 2am post midnight mass baking of gingerbread men for the stockings. It was the first year that I was hosting Christmas in my own place and everything had to be just so. My family has it's own gingerbread man pattern, a cardboard template really, that we lay on the dough and cut out with a knife. In my exhausted state the knife slipped from my hand and landed IN my foot. No blood in the food, but the baker had to take a break to staunch the wound and soothe hysterics. :wacko:

I think I decided at that point to do the rest of the cookies in the morning ... when, as I recall my mother accidentally set the presents on fire (candles and wrapping paper are a bad combination).

I've strived for lower-key holidays since then. :biggrin:

This time I sucked it up shoved a rag into the wound and kept cooking.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Depends how bad it is. If it's not too bad, wrap it up and keep cooking. If it won't stop bleeding, put it under cold water and use pressure to get it to the not too bad state, wrap it up, and keep cooking.

Food first, everything else later.

Ok, the one time I cut myself deeply enough to see the nerve I just missed severing (pointed out by the ever so helpful emergency clinic doctor), I stopped cooking and went to get that stitched up. But since I was just making some cheese on bread for breakfast, it wasn't really cooking anyway.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

So I'm hacking away, ow, I've driven my knife into my hand again, no stiches this time but it is still a wake up call... Yo loser, nice knife skills....

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Broken nose in the middle of dinner service. Cursed the chef who gave it to me, and kept plating( once the little(BIG!) spots in front of my eyes went away). Cut too many times to keep track, from 20 years as a butcher. One cut did put me in the hospital for 1 week- staph infection in the knuckle.

Just spilled boiling water up my arm, from the knuckles to halfway up the forearm. Skin is almost finished peeling. I would rather cut myself!!

"Be a simple kind of man. - ronnie vanzant

I made a nice pot of tortilla soup last spring for a house full of guests, one of whom was not someone that I enjoy entertaining. I was a little on edge, as the offending guest was running her mouth in the next room, and while chopping some cilantro, I took off the tip of my index finger. Yeowch. I threw away the cilantro, bandaged the finger, sterilized my knife and board, and started over.

New Years Eve and we had run out of pasta. While heading for the sink to drain a new pot, somehow the water slopped. By the time I got the pan set down and my shoe off I had a blister on my foot 2 inches in diameter. Hungry people waiting to be fed so I couldn't stop and use cold water.

My vacation started the next day so I hobbled all over Mexico with a burn on my foot. It turned out to be a good vacation any way.

Since this one left the best scar....age 12 - Swansen frozen pot pie Had the brilliant idea that if I took the crust off the pie and put that in the toaster oven ...and the pie in the microwave I could eat much faster without a soggy crust. So first ya grab that 12 inch serrated pointy knife, then you point it up under the edge of the crust and ram it through your palm. Then you wiggle the knife out past the big serrations and scream for mommy with a palm full of blood. It was snowing ...no stitches for me.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association