• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese in Seattle

Double and triple up on your Shanghaiese intake while you're still in the Richmond area! Nothing special here in Seattle. As you know, we have a few good Szechuan places, but it's time for someone to open up a place to satisfy our desire for quality Shanghaiese cuisine!

Nowhere, nowhere at all.   :sad:

No Shanghainese? *sigh*

I am eating at Top Shanghai up here in Richmond as many times as possible in the next week before I move. :sad:

Re: Szechuan Chef

What's the atmosphere like there?

I'm looking for a place to hold a large function soon and looking for something other than the usual Sea Garden Bellevue.

-Moose

We went last night. The food ranged from good (Szechuan Whole Fish, Green Onion Pancake) to incredible (Chong Quin Chicken).

I'm looking for a place to hold a large function soon and looking for something other than the usual Sea Garden Bellevue.

The external atmosphere is "strip mall". On the plus side, parking is no issue.

Inside, it's nice. Not fancy, not really "event" level atmosphere, but defnitely a nice restaurant. It will also probably be crowded.

--Dave

Thanks Dave. I'll check it out and the food.

-Moose

The external atmosphere is "strip mall". On the plus side, parking is no issue.

Inside, it's nice. Not fancy, not really "event" level atmosphere, but defnitely a nice restaurant. It will also probably be crowded.

--Dave

• 3 weeks later...

We finally made it to Szechuan Chef tonight!

The atmosphere and decor was definitely nicer than 7 Stars Pepper (everything was new and clean), and you didn't have to walk past garbage dumpsters to get to the front door, which is a plus. On this Sunday night it was packed and there was constantly a line, but turnover was fairly fast. We really wanted to compare it to 7SP, so we ordered dishes that we've had dozens of times (at least) at 7SP.

Szechuan crab: Exactly the same as at 7SP (they used more green onions, but the taste was the same). Delicious.

House special pancake: Greasier, but still delicious and flaky-we usually order this because it is the non-greasy counterpart to the green onion pancake, but that's not the case here.

Ant on a Tree: Less oily, I think-the uneaten portion wasn't as congealed by the end of the meal.

"Wild Chile" shredded potato: Called hot pepper shredded potato at 7SP, but it's the same dish, made with jalapeno. I guess wild chile sounds better. Well cooked but way too salty (and I love salt).

There were things on the menu that sounded interesting that 7SP doesn't have, and if we find ourselves hungry in Bellevue sometime, I'd love to go again and try them. But based on my meal tonight, I can't see why I'd make the drive from Seattle, especially since we get such great service (and something always free) at 7SP.

We finally made it to Szechuan Chef tonight!

Glad you got there - and thanks for the report!

I agree they are very similar, with Szechuan Chef providing a better atmosphere. Probably not worth the drive from Seattle for ordering the same dishes, but well worth it for the variety they offer - especially if you take advantage of some of their unique dishes!

Yeah, I did see a few different things that sounded interesting, but I'd say the menu is 98% the same as 7SP, so I probably will have to already be in the area to go again. I'd love to hear about dishes other people love there (I know a few were mentioned in previous posts) that might not be offered elsewhere.

• 6 months later...

Had dinner at Lee's Asian in West Seattle.

You know, neighborhood place - but the food is really fresh and tasty. It's a bit pan-asian.

Really nice duck with those cute folded over steamed buns, two sauces, and a third on the broccoli. Lots of wok-pan flavor in the noodles, serious heat in the spicier dishes, kids racing around the room.

Homier style Wild Ginger foods at half the price.

You know, neighborhood place - but the food is really fresh and tasty. It's a bit pan-asian.

Really nice duck with those cute folded over steamed buns, two sauces, and a third on the broccoli. Lots of wok-pan flavor in the noodles, serious heat in the spicier dishes, kids racing around the room.

glad you liked lee's, tsquare, i'm so glad to have it in my 'hood. i think the owner or chef is a WG alum. we love the honey walnut prawns and lee's special fried rice which features tons of egg, and in the Spring, you're likely to find asparagus hiding in there. the HWP portion is absurd - i think there are 13 prawns/order - and the price is under $10. Lee's HWP are delightfully evil, right down to their bed of sweet, mayo-laden lettuce.

someone at the stranger or weekly did a review a few years ago and recommended the nine flavor beef (or was it the seven flavor beef? i think they have both - but i have no idea what's "missing" from 7 that's present in 9. rocky? school me.) very fast service and a very efficent take-out operation (nice when you'd just as soon skip the aisle-meandering youth). i'll have to try the noodles.

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

glad you liked lee's, tsquare, i'm so glad to have it in my 'hood. i think the owner or chef is a WG alum. we love the honey walnut prawns and lee's special fried rice which features tons of egg, and in the Spring, you're likely to find asparagus hiding in there. the HWP portion is absurd - i think there are 13 prawns/order - and the price is under $10. Lee's HWP are delightfully evil, right down to their bed of sweet, mayo-laden lettuce.

someone at the stranger or weekly did a review a few years ago and recommended the nine flavor beef (or was it the seven flavor beef? i think they have both - but i have no idea what's "missing" from 7 that's present in 9. rocky? school me.) very fast service and a very efficent take-out operation (nice when you'd just as soon skip the aisle-meandering youth). i'll have to try the noodles.

Look for the review in the PI archives. smile

Well, 9 flavors is deep fried and 7 is sauteed (wok?) so, that might add one.

The funny thing is there are far more than 9 flavours in either dish, I don't think I've ever seen an actual recipe for either one. It's kind of like chili, you know it when you see but no two are the same aside from the deep fry and stir fry thing, end even then, the deep fried is woked at the end.

Rocky

Edited by rockdoggydog (log)