• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese in Seattle

I've been looking for good Szechuan / Hunan Chinese food in Seattle. So far the only place that does a decent job, in my opinion, is Seven Stars Pepper and Szechuanese.

For other non-Cantonese fair I like Rocking Wok and Malay Satay Hut. But for REAL spicy Szechuan food, I'm at a loss.

Any other suggestions?

Seven Stars is the best. Lo Sichuan (aka "Sichuanese Cuisine") diagonally across 12th and Jackson is also very good.

Two years ago, I found great Szechuan pork and pickled cabbage soup at the Szechuan Bistro, on 85th just west of Greenwood Avenue. Driving by recently, I believe I saw a "new management" sign, so perhaps things have changed. Can anyone else comment?

Editor of Take Control of Thanksgiving Dinner, a Take Control series ebook.

Seven Stars is the best. Lo Sichuan (aka "Sichuanese Cuisine") diagonally across 12th and Jackson is also very good.

Two years ago, I found great Szechuan pork and pickled cabbage soup at the Szechuan Bistro, on 85th just west of Greenwood Avenue. Driving by recently, I believe I saw a "new management" sign, so perhaps things have changed. Can anyone else comment?

Last Tuesday it was closed. I drove by just today, hoping that it was open -- but it wasn't. It looked like it was closed & out of business -- everything all dark. I didn't see any "new management" signs either, but I might have missed them because I was driving by, not walking. :raz:

SusieQ

I am probably going to get killed for this but I happen to really like the Uptown China on lower Queen Anne. We always sit in the bar and we always order the salt and pepper prawns and scallops. I don't think they are even on the menu but if you order them - they will make them. I know this isn't "spicy" which seems to be the direction of the topic, but it is a chinese place and those salt and pepper prawns and scallops are really really good!

Oh - and I agreed - Seven Star Pepper rocks!

Edited by Della (log)

• 9 months later...

mamster wrote all about it - but I just tried Jack's Tapas on the Ave (north end of University Way) and it was great. Not spicy, but ask for the homemade hot sauce if you need that. Jack's stir fried lamb - excellent. Hand shave noodles, thick and chewy, and addictive. The biggest sesame onion bread - great for sandwiches too. Not your chinese american type place. Northern Chinese/muslim/american.

Edited by tsquare (log)

• 2 weeks later...

There's been a lot of buzz about Szechuan Chef (in a strip mall at 15015 Main in Bellevue). I checked it out and it was very feisty, rich Szechuan. Much the way I remembered Szechuan restaurants in New York. You walk in the door and your eyes start to water! The place was packed at lunch time with Asian fellows from nearby Microsoft. And I was amused to see a table full of Bellevue firefighters. Perhaps the kitchen has to keep them on call?

Editor of Take Control of Thanksgiving Dinner, a Take Control series ebook.

That could be true, LOL!

Glad you enjoyed it. It's my favorite Chinese restaurant in the Seattle area. I always ask them for more spice!

There's been a lot of buzz about Szechuan Chef (in a strip mall at 15015 Main in Bellevue). I checked it out and it was very feisty, rich Szechuan. Much the way I remembered Szechuan restaurants in New York. You walk in the door and your eyes start to water! The place was packed at lunch time with Asian fellows from nearby Microsoft. And I was amused to see a table full of Bellevue firefighters. Perhaps the kitchen has to keep them on call?

The reports I've heard so far indicate that Szechuan Chef is either exactly as good, or not quite as good, as 7 Stars. I'd love to hear other opinions-any dishes you think SC does better than 7SP? Anything they do that 7SP doesn't? I just don't want to make the drive to the Eastside unless I know it's worth it.

Anything else you'd say they do better besides Ants (I've had 7SP Ants a number of times, so it would be an easy comparison)? Service isn't an issue for us-we go every weekend for crabs, beers and lots more, and so always get treated fabulously. Not that that makes it okay that you had bad service.

7SP is great, no doubt. But as someone who lives in Seattle, I think it's worth the drive to SC. I find the food a little less oily/greasy, and the preparation slightly better. From pea vines to the casserole dishes with intestines or tripe, the overall presentation and taste is best at SC. Too bad, 7SP would be more convenient to me.

The reports I've heard so far indicate that Szechuan Chef is either exactly as good, or not quite as good, as 7 Stars. I'd love to hear other opinions-any dishes you think SC does better than 7SP? Anything they do that 7SP doesn't? I just don't want to make the drive to the Eastside unless I know it's worth it.

It's worth it. Last time I ate there it was knocked OUT.

Born Free, Now Expensive

Wow... this is a mouth-watering question, Ling! Now you've got my hopes up! But I also heard rumor that Vij's was coming here. What's next: Din Tai Fung?

Oh, I hope you're right. It will save me a few trips to Richmond/Vancouver and beyond (but not really, as I'm always happy to travel from Seattle for food we can't get here!).

There's a great restaurant in Richmond called Sea Harbour, and I just heard they have a branch open in Seattle as well. Is this true?

As I understand it, Szechuan Chef in Bellevue is the new place opened by the origninal owners of Seven Stars Pepper in the ID.

Anything else you'd say they do better besides Ants (I've had 7SP Ants a number of times, so it would be an easy comparison)? Service isn't an issue for us-we go every weekend for crabs, beers and lots more, and so always get treated fabulously. Not that that makes it okay that you had bad service.

Tea-smoked duck. At 7SP it was served cold and was OK (not sure it's even on the menu at 7SP anymore). At SC it's served hot and the duck fat just melts in your mouth.

• 2 weeks later...

We went last night. The food ranged from good (Szechuan Whole Fish, Green Onion Pancake) to incredible (Chong Quin Chicken).

Depending on your personal spicy threshold, you probably want to dial down the level on some dishes. That being said, I'm sorely tempted to get the chicken again for lunch (even though it isn't on the lunch menu).

mamster wrote all about it - but I just tried Jack's Tapas on the Ave (north end of University Way) and it was great. Not spicy, but ask for the homemade hot sauce if you need that. Jack's stir fried lamb - excellent. Hand shave noodles, thick and chewy, and addictive. The biggest sesame onion bread - great for sandwiches too. Not your chinese american type place. Northern Chinese/muslim/american.

I went there the other day and it's amazing. It's as if they managed to transport a mediocre beijing restaurant right into Seattle.

PS: I am a guy.

Tea-smoked duck.  At 7SP it was served cold and was OK (not sure it's even on the menu at 7SP anymore).  At SC it's served hot and the duck fat just melts in your mouth.

OHH this is so on my list for next time I'm there...

Born Free, Now Expensive