• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Story of the Year

jamiemaw

If the least important story was the two-minute minor awarded Doug Psaltis for one hand-slapping :shock: , was the most important the acknowledgement in the general media of the crisis in the global fishery and the ensuing clamour for restaurants to do something about it? Sustainability issues, I think (and hope), will long be associated with 2005.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

The NY Times sending their "restaurant critic" back to Rome to hang out with Ben.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Could become bird flu - give it until the end of the year. The impact could be world-wide.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

"Most important" is hard to nail down, isn't it?

When I think "most important" I think of the story that will have the widest historical ramifications. Something time-capsule worthy. Something that will be written about for years to come.

Katrina, bird flu, the banning of foie gras... I think we'll have to see what happens with bird flu over the next few weeks before we can decide for sure.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

When I think "most important" I think of the story that will have the widest historical ramifications.  Something time-capsule worthy.  Something that will be written about for years to come.

Katrina, bird flu, the banning of foie gras... I think we'll have to see what happens with bird flu over the next few weeks before we can decide for sure.

Some 60,000 ducks have already been culled in the Fraser Valley, adjacent to Vancouver. Was it political overkill? Although the farm where the flu-infected duck was discovered wasn't licensed for export, the U.S. shut down, at least temprarily, Canadian imports.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

When I think "most important" I think of the story that will have the widest historical ramifications.  Something time-capsule worthy.  Something that will be written about for years to come.

Some 60,000 ducks have already been culled in the Fraser Valley, adjacent to Vancouver. Was it political overkill? Although the farm where the flu-infected duck was discovered wasn't licensed for export, the U.S. shut down, at least temprarily, Canadian imports.

This thread has links to a couple of CBS stories about the situation.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Although indicted in Dec. 2004, Leonard Pickell, former president of the James Beard Foundation, pleaded guilty to grand larceny in Jan. 2005 and was sentenced 1 to 3 years in prison in NY State later in June 2005.

BTW, any news about the JBF since the Beard Awards?

In terms of what's "most important," I think in terms of what will have the most impact, not necessarily what's the most popular at that particular moment. Mind you, in terms of what will have the most influence on history. And yes, zilla369, it is hard to nail down what's "most important." I don't have the ability to predict the future.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Here's a summary to date:

1. Species extirpation versus potential sustainability in the Global Fishery

2. The local and far-reaching effects of Hurricane Katrina on new Orleans restaurants, the Gulf Fishery, coffee distribution and more

3. The effect of tsunami on tourism, agriculture and fisheries.

4. The indictment of Leonard Pickell of the James Beard Foundation.

5. The whistleblower story from a previous DuPont employee alleging that chemicals applied to fast food packaging are potentially carcinogenic.

6. The global effects of Avian Flu on poultry and game bird food sources.

7. The Michelin Guide coming to NYC.

8. The continued rise of molecular gastronomy/avant garde cuisine in the US (Alinea, Moto, etc.).

9. The continuing debate over foie gras.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Here's a summary to date:

1. Species extirpation versus potential sustainability in the Global Fishery

2. The local and far-reaching effects of Hurricane Katrina on new Orleans restaurants, the Gulf Fishery, coffee distribution and more

3. The effect of tsunami on tourism, agriculture and fisheries.

4. The indictment of Leonard Pickell of the James Beard Foundation.

5.  The whistleblower story from a previous DuPont employee alleging that chemicals applied to fast food packaging are potentially carcinogenic.

6. The global effects of Avian Flu on poultry and game bird food sources.

7. The Michelin Guide coming to NYC.

8.  The continued rise of molecular gastronomy/avant garde cuisine in the US (Alinea, Moto, etc.).

9. The continuing debate over foie gras.

And you left out my NY Times story? :sad::sad:

Seriously, all meaningful stories with the exception of Michelin. That was no more important than the Psaltis/Mariani stories. To quote someone with a little more literary expertise - Much ado about nothing.

Rich Schulhoff

Seriously, all meaningful stories with the exception of Michelin. That was no more important than the Psaltis/Mariani stories. To quote someone with a little more literary expertise - Much ado about nothing.

Or much adieu about nothing. Or as we say up here - a mouse fart in a typhoon.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Andy Lynes, the internationally acclaimed food and wine writer from Brighton, England, annoiting Vancouver's West Restaurant as one of the "Ten Best in the World" in the Independent.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine