• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Galleries Lafayette food hall

Ten years ago or so, before Bon Marchés expansion, GL had a superb food hall with counter service adjacent to several departments (eg, cheese plates next to the cheese department, charcuterie next to that department, etc.). The shelf stock of general epicerie items was excellent. It was located, as I remember, upstairs a floor or on a mezzanine.

We went looking for it earlier this year and could find only a street level area that sold a few not-very-interesting traiteur items, some premade sandwiches, and the like. The shelf stock was made up of a few fancyfood and gift items. There was a small cave, and lots of kitchen and dining room accessories. Although we asked every sales and concierge person we could find, this was the only area we were directed to.

Can anyone tell me if GL did indeed do away with their comprehensive food hall, or did we just miss it? My underlying question is whether GL is now a viable source for food products or only a gift shop. Many thanks.

eGullet member #80.

i was there two years ago (sorry not to have more recent info, but at least more recent than your 10 yrs ago...) and it was still glorious. upstairs, above the men's store, which is in a separate bldg. across the street from the main GL store.

the cheese, the caviar, the foie, oh my!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

It's still there on the first floor (French designation) over the men's store. It was expanded a few years ago. There are eating kiosks now like in KaDeWe in Berlin, although GL doesn't match KaDeWe.. Bon March\'e seems more upscale to me. It would be interesting to know how they match up in scale and depth of offerings. so I hope that this thread elicits some first hand comments

I can't remember when we were last in the Galleries Lafayette food area, but it might have been about three years ago. My recollection is that it's bigger than the one in Bon Marché.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

It was located, as I remember, upstairs a floor or on a mezzanine. 

Can anyone tell me if GL did indeed do away with their comprehensive food hall, or did we just miss it?  My underlying question is whether GL is now a viable source for food products or only a gift shop.  Many thanks.

Absolutely there; absolutely OK for products; with a new, improved, bigger cave. I happen to like the boutiquey (Petrossian, Bellota-Bellota, etc) things. A new feature they have which I have seen products from but not yet gone to is a rayon for pouring olive oil, vinegar, grappa, calva, etc into cool bottles on demand. As to size, I think Bon Marche's Grande Epicerie is bigger but you'll not suffer at GL.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Yes, the food hall "Lafayette Gourmet" is alive and well. The food section at Galeries Lafayette could hardly be called second fiddle to Grande Epicerie, either. They are both quite grand. I have personally not found GE to be more upscale than GL; bring plenty of money for either one;

The real problem as a tourist is that you can't really use much of the stuff, because you don't have a kitchen in France, and just how much stuff can you drag back on the airplane? :sad:

Having missed going to the recommended places for "real" hot chocolate (from the numerous articles last year), our last afternoon was spent at the Gallerie Lafayette food hall (beginning of January '05).

We sat at the counter that serves coffee. I had an incredible, indulgent hot chocolate. With the pitcher of real chocolate and a different pitcher of cream, to mix as I wished!

Not sure if it was the same as all the places I read about, but I found it delicious and decadent.

Hubby shopped around while I drank....I think he had a Panini or a fancy sandwich from the Italian stand there.

I know they have a champagne and caviar bar-you can just sit there and have a glass of champagne, if you wish.

The cheese bar looks great, the bread place had fresh Madelines.

So, lots of different food "bars" and a gourmet section and wine section to boot!

Philly Francophiles

Had lunch there on Thursday. Made a bee line to the Bellota-Bellota stand. Nothing beats Iberian ham. They serve it as a sandwich with sliced manchego and some tomato/gazpacho spread. Delicious. They have another that looks good too- anchovies, roasted peppers, cheese and tom. spread.

GL was bustling when we visited this past Friday afternoon.

Since our visit a year ago, the oriental section appears

to have expanded somewhat, the coffee section/counter is

new [i think] and there now is an Antilles/caribbean counter.

On the outer rim they have barrels and baskets of loose teas

and spices, reminding me a bit of Fauchon. We bought macarons

at Dallayou which were either stale or otherwise awful.

We did collect a few items for our flight home...our last

bites of Paris! We had added dessert from Laduree, so

we were very happy flyers!