• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

vegetarian dishes in fancy restaurants (DF)?

salomonrobyn

We are going back to Mexico City, this time with our vegetarian (not vegan) son. I don't remember if in places that we ate before and would like to return this time (such as Izote, Aguila o Sol, Pujol, La Fonda de León, etc) there is a selection of dishes without meat or seafood/fish so he can also enjoy the ocassion.

Salomon

I found Pujol's website which includes the menu. There is a soup (Capuchino de flor de calabaza, leche de coco y nuez moscada), two salads (Ensalada de endivias, melón, queso Oaxaca y vinagreta de limón; Espinaca baby, pera deshidratada, muégano, queso de cabra, aderezo balsámico) and a main dish (Risotto de San Cosme -plátano macho, aguacate, cebolla morada, chile verde y huevo duro) that are suitable for my son, so we will go one day to Pujol.

What about the other places I mentioned?

Thanks,

Salomon

We are going back to Mexico City, this time with our vegetarian (not vegan) son. I don't remember if in places that we ate before and would like to return this time (such as Izote, Aguila o Sol, Pujol, La Fonda de León, etc) there is a selection of dishes without meat or seafood/fish so he can also enjoy the ocassion.

Salomon

The year-old menu from Izote that I have here lists quite a few items under the categories Botanas, de Maíz, Sopas, and Pastas y Arroz that appear to have no meat in the dishes. However, it may be that some use meat stocks or fats in the preparation.

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?

The year-old menu from Izote that I have here lists quite a few items under the categories Botanas, de Maíz, Sopas, and Pastas y Arroz that appear to have no meat in the dishes.  However, it may be that some use meat stocks or fats in the preparation.

I´ve taken a couple of vegetarians there...as long as they´re not TOO fussy, they´ll find something.

Thanks. Would you mind listing the sopas and pastas y arroz dishes?

My son is not too picky when travelling. Of course, by now he learned that in Mexico it is not enough to say "sin carne" -- now he adds "sin pollo, sin jamon, ..."

The year-old menu from Izote that I have here lists quite a few items under the categories Botanas, de Maíz, Sopas, and Pastas y Arroz that appear to have no meat in the dishes.  However, it may be that some use meat stocks or fats in the preparation.

Botanas

Tacos de Guacamole con cristal de jícama

Chile Poblano Relleno de Queso Panela y de Cabra con salsa de guajillo

de Maíz

Quesadillas de Flor de Calabaza al epazote

Enchiladas al Brie con salsa de guajillo

Ensaladas

Ensalada de Jitomates y queso de cabra en hoja santa con vinagreta de cilantro

y cebolla caramelizada

Ensalada Verde con Lechuguitas de Campo Orgánicas con vinagre balsámico,

cebolla morada, queso panela y aguacate

Ensalada de Lechuguitas Orejonaas a la vinagreta de queso zacatecas y añejo

al chile Meco

Sopas

Sopa Tarasca Caldosa con Frijol Bayo con crema, tortillas, y chile ancho

Crema de Elote a la escencia de chipotle

Caldo Ligero de Flor de Calabaza con arroz y aguacate de Atlixco

Sopa de Zanahoria con chile ancho relleno de queso de cabra

Pastas y Arroz

Fettuccini al guajillo con ajo y cilantro

Lasagna de cuitlacoche al vapor

Caveat: as I mentioned, this menu is about one year old and may well be quite different by now.

What's new at Mexico Cooks!?

It's generally not too difficult to eat vegetarian in Mexico, as was said "if one is not too fussy." Also beware the cooking fats and the broths ... that is likely the Achilles heel.

I think most of us are assuming that this is an egg, cheese, and dairy eating vegetarian. Stricter than that, and it will be slimmer pickings.

I was in Izote in September, and remember that there was a fair selection on the menu that would count (at least to me) as vegetarian fare. Also, for a restaurant the caliber of Aguila y Sol or Izote, etc. I would call ahead and ask for their vegetarian selections. With advance notice, I feel sure that they can and will arrange something.

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

That's great. These is an excellent selection. Many thanks.

Any suggestions for a special restaurant with some vegetarian dishes in "El Centro"? We'll go there and catch the Goya exhibit at the Munal Museum.

Salomon

Botanas

Tacos de Guacamole con cristal de jícama

Chile Poblano Relleno de Queso Panela y de Cabra con salsa de guajillo

de Maíz

Quesadillas de Flor de Calabaza al epazote

Enchiladas al Brie con salsa de guajillo

Ensaladas

Ensalada de Jitomates y queso de cabra en hoja santa con vinagreta de cilantro

y cebolla caramelizada

Ensalada Verde con Lechuguitas de Campo Orgánicas con vinagre balsámico,

cebolla morada, queso panela y aguacate

Ensalada de Lechuguitas Orejonaas a la vinagreta de queso zacatecas y añejo

al chile Meco

Sopas

Sopa Tarasca Caldosa con Frijol Bayo con crema, tortillas, y chile ancho

Crema de Elote a la escencia de chipotle

Caldo Ligero de Flor de Calabaza con arroz y aguacate de Atlixco

Sopa de Zanahoria con chile ancho relleno de queso de cabra

Pastas y Arroz

Fettuccini al guajillo con ajo y cilantro

Lasagna de cuitlacoche al vapor

Caveat: as I mentioned, this menu is about one year old and may well be quite different by now.

Yes. The margaritas in the roof-top bar at Las Sirenas, near the Templo Mayor, behind the Metropolitan Cathedral. :biggrin:

Theabroma

PS: the guac's not too shabby, either!

I once told my friend, a vegetarian, that the tameles of cheese were OK...didn´t mention the lard. She LOVED them. I felt a little guilty, but not very...

(this same person recently went to my favorite trattoria in Rome- Osteria Ponte Sisto - and broke down and ate sausage, so there you go).

Aaaah! Sensuous Sausage. Luxurious Lard.

That's what I call the Richter Scale for Food, especially pastry: if it is worth the damage it's gonna do, then into the mouth it goes! There is a lot of wonderful food out there, tasting of history, hands, and hearts, and great comet-arcs of creativity. And it is a sin to ignore it.

Theabroma