• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Metuchen places of intrigue

Rebecca263

Holy Oats, Oak Tree Road! I finally got to this area today, and it was worth the ride.

Took your advice, Rlibkind, and went to ChowPatty FIRST. I had a lot of blood taken today, so I was weak with hunger, yeah, that's my story, and I'm sticking with it!

I was going to order a mix of things, but then the guy behind the counter started talking with me... one thing led to another(I'm a very friendly girl!) and we decided that I should just go to the market side and have some freshly fried chili peppers! No, not just chili peppers, these are beautiful, mild dark geen chilis, about 6" long, dipped in a chick pea batter and then deep fried. Salty batter, but delicious! He was very happy to see me enjoy my chili peppers, well I like to make folks happy, so I also ate the stems. He laughed to see me doing that, I told him I always sneak them but they're just so good, all woody and smoky from the frying.

I then had some fried dough stuffed with a spicy mashed potato as well. There were only two on the tray, and I didn't want them to go to waste, you know.

On to the cookies. I know a young man in Florida who is learning disabled, and he loves food, so for his 29th birthday I'll be sending him a little package of Indian foods. I bought a pound or two of different cookies, and I tasted a few as well. Saffron cookies! Cardamom! Halvah filled cookies! All gorgeous, some covered in silver, but not really my favorites, I think that they could have been moister, but that's just me.

I also bought two large containers of differently spiced banana chips, one red chili and one black pepper. Both mild, but unique enough that my young friend will thrill at them, I think.

Then, I bought a little bag of candy coated fennel, for my long arduous walk around the neighborhood, and I went to a little market nearby. NOT Patel's, but the name escapes me. Full of Swad brand and Ashook, the usual suspects, but very nice produce and inexpensive!

I bought ten pounds of white onions for kiddle, gorgeous scallions, ripe and red local tomatoes, tiny tangerines, some different kinds of fresh beans, 3 packs of CrackJack crackers and a large jar of the only pickle they had with lotus root, a Punjabi pickle, by Swad. Salty and delicious!

Then I saw a pound of fresh packed butter for only 2.79! I plan on making oatmeal cookies tonight for kiddle, so I pounced. I smelled, so sweet! I bought. The girls at the front counter were also so sweet, they wanted to help me take my things to my car, and I had bought so little! I told them that they were as sweet as the butter, and they giggled. All in all, I had a great time. I looked in the store windows and walked around in the sun. Everyone I met was friendly and joyful. I was full of peppers, I had some sweets, and I have a great wonderful package to send my friend in Florida. I also drove by the Metuchen Inn, and I just may hit that place next week.

Thank you all for helping me find a small adventure in the Metuchen area!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

• 2 months later...

Yay! Tomorrow is my LAST VISIT to the medical center in Metuchen! Unfortunately, I'm not better, but it was worth a try! And, of course, I got to know the area a bit! I can't decide where to eat lunch tomorrow, Indian, Dim Sum, Turkish? Indian, Dim Sum, Turkish? I should be finished by 1, any final suggestions?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Hit all three! :wink: Sounds like you deserve it, Rebecca.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Well, today I had to swallow a lot of pills, and get a few injections. Afterwards, I danced with the ceramic ring of err, magic colors (yeah, that's a good name for the mess I made) and I couldn't even think of food. Too bad, because for the next ten days I am on a severely restricted diet. Crumblies! Oh, wait, I see that there are NO crumblies allowed. DARN. Although, I AM allowed salty broth, as much as I want, and the MD even circled it and wrote me a note "To get your blood pressure up a little, sweetheart!". How, um, NICE. :sad: On the bright side, I'll probably lose a little weight, without REALLY dieting, just by STARVING! PS: I'm heading out for dim sum, followed by uni, in exactly 11 days. My FIRST dim sum in NJ, too! PM's accepted for dining friends!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma