• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Metuchen places of intrigue

Rebecca263

I'm visiting a medical center in Metuchen weekly(no, I'm still not all better, dagnab it!) for the next few months and I'm looking for interesting places to eat or buy food stuffs. Got any? I'm completely new to New Jersey and last week I drove through the parts of town that have cute old cottage homes....very pretty! However, I found nothing of note to eat other than take away Chinese (I chickened out and didn't go in) and a very low key bakery with fatty tasting pastry, next to a steamy laundromat...thanks in advance, my fellow eGulleters!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I think there are some great places in Metuchen!

Some threads are below:

Good restaurants in the area

Dick's Dock

Sawadee Thai

A produce place

The Metuchen Inn

Just to name a few!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Yay! My Tuesday mornings just got a silver lining! Edison, I'll have to go find that on the map too, I guess. I've heard of it, though. Indian food is the first stop, I'm sure. :rolleyes: YUM!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Yay! My Tuesday mornings just got a silver lining! Edison, I'll have to go find that on the map too, I guess. I've heard of it, though. Indian food is the first stop, I'm sure. :rolleyes: YUM!

Metuchen is the hole of the donut which is Edison. (geographically speaking, that is). On Oak Tree Road in Edison, I recommend Moghul.

Further down, it actually becomes Iselin (not Edison) which is the "Little India" area.

Lots of good info in this thread.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Ah, doughnuts! :biggrin: I'm gearing up to make some next month! Yes, New Jersey towns are set up weirdly, I've noticed, circles and donuts and jughandle turns! :blink:

Oak Tree Road, Oak Tree Road, Oak Tree Road... I'm having lunch at Chowpatty tomorrow!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

If you head south from Metuchen on Route 27, you'll find a remarkable strip of Asian stuff including several good Vietnamese pho shops, a great dim sum restaurant called Wonder Seafood, the China Bowl - for Cantonese noodles and rice plates, the much improved Asian Food Center supermarket, and a Middle-Eastern coffee house I have yet to try.

If you go a few miles farther into Highland Park, another universe of Glatt Kosher and Shanghai Style Chinese opens up to you.

And I forgot...there are two great Sichuan places right near Metuchen. The Dragon Palace on the corner of Wood Avenue and Oak Tree Road right by the Payless Shoes store and Sichuan Spring on Route 27 on the Edison/Highland Park border.

Good luck!

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

Oh my holy oats! Now, once I figure out what Route 27 is and WHERE Highland Park is I think I'll be glad of my Tuesday excursions. The next ten weeks won't be so terrible after all! Thanks EVERYONE! :wub:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Rebecca, don't knock Wegman's 'til you've been! Trust us!! :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Wegman's is good, it's like Starbucks to me. I adore it, but I don't go there exclusively. Besides, I've written to everyone about Wegman's, about my Saturday night visits with my nieces to the "wall of candy", my search for kosher blue cheese, because I'm allergic to the regular stuff; I need some new material!

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Metuchen is the hole of the donut which is Edison.  (geographically speaking, that is).  . . .

Further down, it actually becomes Iselin (not Edison) which is the "Little India" area.

Geez, I've only not lived in New Jersey since 1979 (a mere flick of time), you'd think I'd be able to keep Edison and Iselin (Woodbridge) straight!

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I live in Metuchen - if you're there, Marianna's Gourmet (on a corner downtown on Main) has changed (and not for the better) over the years re: what they sell, but while they have some nice prepared food, I definitely recommend going for their sandwiches. Fabulous value (usually, 1 sandwich is 2 meals for me) and excellent quality.

There is one Thai place on Main Street that has an extensive menu - some things are better than others, but the better Thai place is behind the Afghan place next to the train tracks. (If you're facing the Afghan place by the bakery and bus stop, go to the left around the building - when you hit the next street, there's a *tiny* Thai place that's got much yummier food.)

The next closest and very good place I would suggest is Meemah - leave Metuchen via Main Street and when you hit Rt 27, hang a right. Go through 1 traffic light, and a mile or so down the road, just at the next light (by the Dunkin Doughnuts) in a strip mall on the right is a Chinese/Malaysian place that has really flavorful cuisine at the right price.

I can give you a whole bunch of other places in the area, but I don't know how far you want to schlep... feel free to write for more info...

I can give you a whole bunch of other places in the area, but I don't know how far you want to schlep...  feel free to write for more info...

Please, give them to us all! We're willing to schlep! I am always looking for new places to try in this area (I am in Colonia).

OK, folks, here's today's report. I left my doctors at 2:30 and drove around until 4:10. I saw a lot of scenery, it was fascinating, especially the nice old homes in Bound Brook, Dunnelin, Metuchen, Piscatawney etc. etc. but I didn't get to eat a thing other than the apple in my purse BECAUSE I GOT LOST. And everyone I stopped for directions sent me in another fun direction! I never found anything of real interest, well, maybe the tiny town that had a second hand shop and a Mexican place, and there was some place that said Texas hot dogs, but I had a hot dog already this week, and I NEVER found OAK TREE ROAD! I finally found I-287 and headed home. :wacko: I'm nutty to go anywhere in New Jersey without a map or a chaperone!

Tonight we're having an appetizer of black bean/garlic/oregano/criollo adobo/soft cheese spread on cucumbers and NJ plum tomatoes and the main course is fresh steamed spinach with sauteed mushrooms and onion, served atop brown basmati rice steamed with saffron. I eat pretty well at home, so I'm forgiving myself for the long trek to nowhere today. See you in Metuchen next week, on Wednesday!(lucky MD is going to the Galapagos)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Oh my holy oats! Now, once I figure out what Route 27 is and WHERE Highland Park is I think I'll be glad of my Tuesday excursions. The next ten weeks won't be so terrible after all! Thanks EVERYONE!  :wub:

Oy, Rebecca! I passed Metuchen twice a day every day last week on my way into the city from Highland Park! We could have met for lunch on the train :wink: . (I didn't realize you were in that area.)

I unfortunately can't really tell you where to eat... though I did have a pretty good falafel at Jerusalem Pizza.. mostly I just looked at the restaurants from the train :hmmm:

Be well.

Rebecca,

Off food post, but here it goes...

If you would like to treat yourself after your Doctor visits, my hairdresser is located on Rte 27. She's been doing my hair for almost 20 years, and has seen me through some different reincarnations of hair styles and colors!

Sue does my hair

Lamb

Rebecca--Are you at the hospital on James St? When leaving the hospital depending on which side of the street you are on you are going to turn away from Rt. 27. Pass the Temple and go to Grove St. Make a right on Grove St and that will take you to Oak Tree Rd. Make a right onto Oak Tree. You will pass a JCC and then Shop Rite. Mings and Moghul are in that shopping center on the lower level. If you keep going you will pass Wood Ave and then be in the Indian section of Iselin with loads of places to choose from.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I haven't even an idea of where James St. is! :laugh: I am in a center off of Talmadge and Ethel. I'll get my map out tonight and chart everything. I wish the telephone books in New Jersey were more comprehensive! and now I want some curry.....

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma