• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Duck bone soup

lorea

Hey y'all!

I've got an itching for duck bone soup, but I can't seem to find any recipes for it. Are there any special flavors for it? I'm guessing....scallions and ginger? Anything else?

How long do I simmer it for?

In restaurants, I've had it after having my peking duck. Would it taste any different if I used my roast duck bones? Also, is it supposed to be cloudy/milky looking?

Hey y'all!

I've got an itching for duck bone soup, but I can't seem to find any recipes for it.  Are there any special flavors for it?  I'm guessing....scallions and ginger?  Anything else?

In restaurants, I've had it after having my peking duck.  Would it taste any different if I used my roast duck bones?  Also, is it supposed to be cloudy/milky looking?

Simmer it with stock then add tofu and pickled mustard green.

Edited by AzianBrewer (log)

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Pickled mustard green? I've never heard of this, but I'm terribly curious. More information, please.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Why pickled? Fresh mustard green tastes gooder. :wink:

First boild the bone with water, then turn to simmer for maybe 1 hour. Fresh vegetables and tofu can be added 15 minutes before you intend to serve the soup so the vege does not sit in the boiling water for too long. Add a pinch of salt too.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Pickled mustard green? I've never heard of this, but I'm terribly curious. More information, please.

Duck soup with preserved mustard greens, tofu and salty plums is a Nyonya / Peranakan / Straits Chinese soup known as kiam chye ark (tranlsates to salty vegetables and duck) or itik tim (itik / itek means duck in Malay ... not sure what the tim bit is).

It's Chinese origins are from the Hokkien (Fujian) / Teochew (Chao Chou) region (but then again I've never been to Fujian or Chao Chou so I'm not sure whether it exisits there or is a concoction of Hokkiens and Teochews who settled in Malaysia and Singapore :raz:.

You can use roast duck bones or fresh duck pieces (remove the skin if you want to cut down on the fat). Add some sliced preserved mustard greens (haam choy (Cantonese) / kiam chye (Hokkien) - soak them for a while beforehand to remove some of the salt), salty plums and a couple of slices of ginger. Bring to a boil and simmer for around a couple of hours. Toss in some fresh tofu and tomato wedges, boil for another 5 minutes, season to taste and serve.

Pickled msutard greens and the other sour items (salty plums and tomato) are used to balance out the rich fatty flavours of the duck.

Edited by Shiewie (log)

Hey y'all!

I've got an itching for duck bone soup, but I can't seem to find any recipes for it.  Are there any special flavors for it?  I'm guessing....scallions and ginger?  Anything else?

In restaurants, I've had it after having my peking duck.  Would it taste any different if I used my roast duck bones?  Also, is it supposed to be cloudy/milky looking?

Here is a google recipe:

http://recipes.chef2chef.net/recipe-archive/46/249698.shtml

Keep the broth at a simmer for a clear broth. If you let it boil, ---after a VERY short time, the broth turns milky because of a change in the fat molecules ---- so keep the heat under control.