• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kimchi Can Ward Off Food Poisoning

SuzySushi

A study just released by the Food Safety Research Division of the Korea Food Research Institute says experiments found that naturally-fermented kimchi is effective in killing salmonella, staphylococcus, vibrio germs and E.coli bacteria.

"Our study shows that kimchi can effectively ward off food poisoning by varying the ingredients or fermentation temperature," said the lead researcher. "When eating foods susceptible to harmful bacteria, such as meat and fish, one can prevent food poisoning by accompanying them with kimchi."

Article

According to a BBC report earlier this year, scientists at Seoul National University also used kimchi to successfully treat chickens infected with avian flu.

Is kimchi the new wonder drug?

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I wonder if the antimicrobial properties of kimchi are due entirely to its lactic and acetic acids, which are present in many fermented foods, or by other compounds which are unique to kimchi.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Is kimchi the new wonder drug?

It was not so very long ago that doctors who proposed the theory that ulcers were caused by bateria were laughed at by the medical establishment ... and were ultimately found to be correct ... won a Nobel prize for their discovery ...

So it may be entirely possible that elements in kimchee have some interesting results on avian flu ... more info in the gathering maelstrom ... :huh:

The very idea that something as simple as a traditional national dish, thought by some to be a ‘dubious folklore remedy’, is a theory being put forward by some of Korea’s eminent scientists to aid bird flu. Professor Kang Sa-ouk (Biological Sciences) stated that they found the chickens recovered from not only bird flu, but also Newcastle disease and bronchitis; that the death rate fell and the fowl were livelier and their stools became normal. Only time and further research will tell how efficacious kimchi is as an anti-avian-flu remedy, but it can no longer be ignored or thought of as folklore fuzziness

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I've also seen similar research about live active culture yoghurt having similar properties. I'll try to scare up the citation today.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

If anyone has ever smelt (let alone tasted) mildly high winter kimchi - or kept it in your fridge, even wrapped in multiple cellophane bags sealed with rubber bands, as my grandmother used to do - you won't be surprised at this research: the all-pervasive pong of kimchi is potent and pungent enough to fell an ox, let alone the odd strain of salmonella, e coli or the like.

A recent study in Transylvania (sorry, don't have the link to hand) recently has suggested that if you sew a piece of the pungent, fermented, chili-tinted cabbage pickle to your chest (just above the heart) it will keep you immune to attacks from vampires as well. Come to think of it, it will keep you immune to attacks from just anyone at all (except fellow kimchi lovers)...

No wonder in Korea it's traditionally buried in earthenware jars underground. Even still, it's one of the greatest, most delicious and ingenious foods on earth - so this is a good excuse to double up on consumption (and damn the consequences).

Marc

A recent study in Transylvania (sorry, don't have the link to hand) recently has suggested that if you sew a piece of the pungent, fermented, chili-tinted cabbage pickle to your chest (just above the heart) it will keep you immune to attacks from vampires as well. Come to think of it, it will keep you immune to attacks from just anyone at all (except fellow kimchi lovers)...

Er, sewn directly to the chest? Those Transylvanians, indeed. :wacko:

Nobody mentioned the garlic in kimchi. Kimchi contains a lot of garlic, doesn't it? Apart from the fact that garlic chases vampires away, its antiseptic properties are amazing and probably catalyzed by other factors: chili (a panacea), cabbage (another one), fermentation. I'm not amazed this is power food.

That was true for a long time, but recently cryptozoologists at the Transylvania University have observed the emergence of cabbage-pickle-resistant vampires. They speculate that this is due to overuse and misuse of cabbage pickles. They fear that if the trend continues, surgical interventions, primarily cardiac puncture, may become the only effective way to treat vampirism.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

A recent study in Transylvania...

That was true for a long time, but recently cryptozoologists at the Transylvania University have observed the emergence of cabbage-pickle-resistant vampires.

Damn, another surefire home remedy bites the dust...kimchi-resistant vampires, what is the world coming to?

I've also seen similar research about live active culture yoghurt having similar properties.  I'll try to scare up the citation today.

Ta da!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

That was true for a long time, but recently cryptozoologists at the Transylvania University have observed the emergence of cabbage-pickle-resistant vampires. They speculate that this is due to overuse and misuse of cabbage pickles. They fear that if the trend continues, surgical interventions, primarily cardiac puncture, may become the only effective way to treat vampirism.

There is research going into the effectiveness of multiple-lumen cellulose cardio-puncture devices used in this therapy.