• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valrhona

How do I go about getting my hands on some manjari if i'm not in the restaurant scene ?

Does anyone sell the chips or is it just bars?

thanks

Farinex (www.farinex.ca) sells to the public. It is in 3kg bags. It seems a lot Between 50 and 60 $), but it goes very quickly. Way cheaper than buying it in smaller quantities.

Semisweet/bittersweet chocolate lasts forever. Milk and white chocolate last 6 months. After that the milk powder may go rancid.

I would recommend buying the full 3 k. The price is fair and if well stocked it will last for ages. Just don't refrigerate or freeze it. Humidity is the enemy of chocolate.

Yes, but they lose their flavour and absorb humidity more quickly. That's why Valrhona avoided the "pistoles" format for years, and only sold the ganache chocolate pistoles vacuum-packed.

If it's for keeping long term, blocks are best.

While Lesley is correct about the long term preservation of blocks vs. pistoles, I can attest to the fact that the 3kg tub of pistoles does not last very long because the size of the pistoles is perfect for what my wife would call frequent quality control experiments. In other words, they make a perfect snack whenever you need a chocolate fix. :rolleyes:

I saw a picture of the box of pistoles, looks very attractive and frankly would make a perfect Christmas gift (for me).

I received a 1 kg box of Pfatisch gianduiotti last year, and it did not last that long. One of my favourite dessert/snack/pick me up was melting gianduiotti in the microwave and dipping slices of banana and apple in it. Somehow it also turned into my kiddies' favourite dessert as well.

Oh yes, delicious for snacking, especially that crazy-delicious new milk chocolate.

I had a sample and ate the whole thing in about 15 minutes. You can also chop them up and make chocolate chip cookies with them. Metro 5 Saisons was selling the Valrhona pistoles a while back in a large size but it looks like the Valrhona line has greatly diminished at 5 ever since Qualifirst gave up on Valrhona.