• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lea & Perrins recipe change?

elfin

I just got back from the store with a "fresh" bottle of L&P. Here are the ingredients as listed on the label.

Vinegar, molasses, high fructose corn syrup*, anchovies, water, onions, salt, garlic tamarind concentrate, cloves, natural flavorings, chili pepper extract.

* Is there no way to avoid this stuff?

Yes, it is sweeter. Also, I think the clove flavor is stronger.

It is also labeled as "The Original." I don't think so! I don't think they had high fructose corn syrup in 1835. Where is the FTC when you need them? Isn't this a truth in labeling issue?:laugh:

I have 2 bottles of L&P's; one is about 2 years old and the other is brand new. The ingredient listings are not the same on the two bottles.

Older bottle:

Water, vinegar, molasses, corn syrup, anchovies, hydrolyzed soy and corn protein, fresh onions, tamarinds, salt, fresh garlic, cloves, chili peppers, natural flavorings and fresh eschalots

Newer bottle:

Vinegar, molasses, high fructose corn syrup, anchovies, water, onions, salt, garlic, tamarind extract, cloves, natural flavorings, chili pepper extract, hydrolyzed soy and corn protein

No more claims of "fresh" and some extract replacements. The "recipe" has definitely changed and not, to my mind, for the better. :sad:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

FWIW, here's the ingredient list from the imported L&P we get in Canada ("prepared in England"):

Malt vinegar, spirit vinegar, water, refiner's molasses, sugar, anchovies, salt, tamaraind extract, onions, garlic, spice and natural flavour.

The bottle is about two years old.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I have a UK bottle here. Ingredients are different again:

Malt Vinegar (from Barley) Spirit Vinegar, Molasses,Sugar, Salt, Anchovies, Tamarind Extract, Onions, Garlic, Spice, Flavouring.

Also labeled "The Original and Genuine"

Interesting, the main difference with our UK import L&P is the omission of water. Otherwise, it's pretty similar. I wonder if the UK version is stronger? Or a difference in labeling regulations?

Edited by sanrensho (log)
Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Yesterday, at the nephew's house, we did a sauce tasting of a bottle of L&P that he bought recently. His label had the "hydrolyzed soy and corn protein" but was otherwise the same as the one I just bought. I am thinking that the "natural flavors" on my bottle may be the soy and corn stuff. His was not as sweet as mine. Actually, it had a pretty vinegary bite, enough so that we coughed after tasting a sip. It didn't have the strong clove taste that mine has.

Labeling laws may indeed be different. In the US, ingredients are supposed to be listed in order of quantity.

OK . . . I think the point is that someone is messin' with the sauce! Get a rope!

What is a person to do?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Legends. You believe yours, I'll believe Justin Wilson.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Brooks, for posting that link to the Justin Wilson web site. My dad loved Justin Wilson and used to listen to his stories all the time. I still remember a very funny one about two men, one of whom was about to send his daughter off to college at "SM&U". The other fellow asked him why he didn't send her to "LUS". "Did you know that at SM&U, the boy and the girl share the same curriculum?"..."And did you know that at SM&U, they let the male professormen examine the girl's thesis?"..."And what's worse, at SM&U the boy and the girl matriculate together." (It's funnier hearing it in Wilson's voice, which is playing in my head as I type this.) He also once told me that we had relatives in Louisiana--some aunts that apparently became lost to the family--but what little I know about Cajun cuisine comes from him.

However: I can't find anything on the site pertaining to Worcestershire sauce. Is his version of the legend available online? Or did I just not drill down far enough?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Legends. You believe yours, I'll believe Justin Wilson.

However: I can't find anything on the site pertaining to Worcestershire sauce. Is his version of the legend available online? Or did I just not drill down far enough?

No, you drilled down far enough. No mention of Lea and Perrins on the Justin Wilson website.

Where'd you get that, Mayhew?