• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Afghan lamb withdrawal

graphicguru

There used to be an Afghan place on Oak Tree Road in Edison that had the most unbelievably delicious lamb, among other dishes - the mixed grill allowed you to sample a bunch of fabulous dishes. They were affiliated with Royal Thai, and it was cheap, BYO, and just wonderful. They closed after 9/11 but reopened with a different name - even better than before, I thought. Anyway, they closed over a year ago, and I have been trying to find a replacement since to no avail. Did anyone else who used to go there find a replacement in the area?

... in the area?

being the operative term...

In NJ, I've found...

Pamir

85 Washington St.

(bet. Cobb Pl. & Phoenix Ave.)

Morristown, NJ 07960

973-605-1095

www.pamirrestaurant.com

to be excellent - tho' not particularly close to my nabe either (Montclair). And there's always...

Afghan Kebab House

West 50s

764 Ninth Ave.

(bet. 51st & 52nd Sts.)

Manhattan, NY 10019

212-307-1612

Their half spiced chicken every bit worth the trip.

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

... in the area?

being the operative term...

In NJ, I've found...

Pamir

85 Washington St.

(bet. Cobb Pl. & Phoenix Ave.)

Morristown, NJ 07960

973-605-1095

www.pamirrestaurant.com

to be excellent - tho' not particularly close to my nabe either (Montclair). And there's always...

Afghan Kebab House

West 50s

764 Ninth Ave.

(bet. 51st & 52nd Sts.)

Manhattan, NY 10019

212-307-1612

Their half spiced chicken every bit worth the trip.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm almost certain the Afghan Kebab House of NYC has an affiliation with the Afghan restaurant on Maint St. in Metuchen. It opened up within the last year and is located right across the street from the train station. I will check it out tomorrow and update.

There's also Silk Road in Warren. Great rice dishes, awesome kebabs (Including lamb), and the owner/chef has a tandoor oven - so he bakes his own Afghan bread, which can't be beat. Between 22 and 78, hopefully a little closer to you than NYC or Morristown. I've found the food there to be much better than Pamir in Morristown, but the place is small. Call for reservations Fridays and Saturdays.

the Afghan Kebab House of NYC has an affiliation with the Afghan restaurant on Maint St.  in Metuchen...

That is great news - hope you get back with a report; in fact this thread lead me to an interesting url...

zabihah.com

... which lists Afghan Kebab Hse #7!

~waves

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

>There's also Silk Road in Warren

Is there a website, please?  And is it BYOB?  Thank you!

It is BYO. I can't find a website, but here's the Star Ledger's review.

Silk Road Review

Let us know how you like it. I've been there 5 or 6 times now in the last year or 2, and we love it. Great service, very helpful with the menu, and if you want to speak to the Chef, he'll talk your ears off. Try the shir chai with desert.

• 4 weeks later...

Salivating since this thread (!) for Afghan, finally got to...

Silk Road, Village Square Mall, 41 Mountain Blvd. Warren NJ 07059, 908 561-8288

...the other night. Very easy to blow right past this little mall (esp. at night) but once inside had all the markings a genuine Afghan experience (that poster of the girl w/ the green eyes; always haunting). Was quiet until friends of the owner arrived for a holiday get together; place exudes a kind of familial warmth...

(disclaimer: pls forgive sp errors)

Started w/ bolandi - ghandanda (scallion) and potato as well as steamed dumplings (the lentil ones). Bolandi was right on, delicate, thin, an understated taste treat. Dumpling (new for me) quite something and should be compared to C46's array of delicacies. Plat's principal were tandori chicken (about $16) and lamb chops ($22). This chix was fairly typical of Afghan style but not off the reservation enough for me - entirely proper, however. Our waiter emphasized that Silk Road's specialty was lamb and suggested the rack. Was absolutely delicious - moist, flavorful and plenty for tastes around. Finally, we had the brown piallow (rice) with carrots, raisins, honey and it, too, was busting with taste.

Silk Road has more of a 'home' kind of quality (vs. Pamir) - not as dressed up but really cozy and peaceful, in a good full tummy sort of way.

I'll/we'll be back (was w/ my kids, too: 9 & 12; ate and loved everything!)

~waves

~waves