• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do you brine your fresh pineapple?

Kent Wang

Glowing Ghoul, I believe that pineapple canned in its own juice has no sugar added, and is yummy. I love it in a pineapple and cheese casserole !

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 2 weeks later...

In Durban (South Africa's sub-tropical coast) it is traditional to serve spiced pineapple quarters on sticks at the beach.

The spice mix is paprika 80% red chilli powder 2%, cassia 3% Salt 10% and maybe some tumeric - or you can get creative here.

The salt is what hits you first. It totally enhances the taste. Then the chilli hits. Very refreshing.

The mix is called "Pineapple spice".

• Like 1

In Durban (South Africa's sub-tropical coast) it is traditional to serve spiced pineapple quarters on sticks at the beach.

The spice mix is paprika 80% red chilli powder 2%, cassia 3% Salt 10% and maybe some tumeric - or you can get creative here.

The salt is what hits you first. It totally enhances the taste. Then the chilli hits. Very refreshing.

The mix is called "Pineapple spice".

Wow. Wowwowwow that sounds wonderful! Is the pineapple cooked in any way, or just cut and coated! I'm eager to try it!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown