• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Got seafood? Not in the Florida Keys

MdBlueCrab

As my first post here at eGullet, I regret that it is by way of being the bearer of bad news, but...

At the very height of lobster and stone crab season, when fisherman make their money for the year, South Florida and the Keys were swept by four hurricanes — Dennis, Katrina, Rita and, worst of all, Wilma.

The hurricanes, especially Wilma, destroyed or moved hundreds of thousands of traps at sea —costing more than $100 million in lost gear and reduced catches.

MSNBC story

Welcome to eGullet, and welcome to the Florida Forum!

The southern FL area was sadly assaulted. We are going to Key West for Christmas, and expect that the selection of seafood will be quite different than if those storms hadn't hit. However, I doubt the selection of liquid refreshment will be much different than usual. :biggrin:

Thanks for posting, and hope to see you in some of the happier topics!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.