• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What area needs a good bakery?!?

ohmyganache

Rutherford could use one. There's only one bakery in the borough and they're "okay" for what they do but hardly high end.  But I think it's a dicey proposition for a high end operation. You'd need to draw customers from surrounding areas to make your numbers. There are some decent restaurants in town that draw from many areas (I'm thinking specifically of Cafe Matisse) but I think many people want a place that's closer to whare they do other regular shopping (e.g. groceries) so they can just pop into the bakery on the way home to grab something.

As a Rutherford resident, I'm skeptical that a high end bakery would last here. I think that the existing place survives precisely because they're more of an MOR type of place, which fits the prevailing tastes here.

"I think many people want a place that's closer to whare they do other regular shopping (e.g. groceries) so they can just pop into the bakery on the way home to grab something." Having watched a truly superb fish market go under, despite being only 2 doors up from the local ShopRite (you didn't even have to move your car, for crissakes!), I can only conclude that most Rutherfordians aren't inclined to do the pop-in for anything out of the ordinary.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Having watched a truly superb fish market go under, despite being only 2 doors up from the local ShopRite (you didn't even have to move your car, for crissakes!), I can only conclude that most Rutherfordians aren't inclined to do the pop-in for anything out of the ordinary.

I agree and I think a shocking number of Rutherford people probably just get most of their store-bought baked goods from the big Stop 'n Shop at Clifton Commons. I think easy access in a central location that can draw from not only an affluent clientele is important. But these also need to be folks who are discerning and willing to spend the extra money. No offense intended to Rutherford as I lived there for four years and loved it but I think it's not that kind of town (for the most part - ghostrider being a notable exception!)

That's a shame about the fish market. If you want some really good fresh seafood try the "farm market" on Rte 17 South next to the Crow's Nest Restaurant in Hasbrouck Heights (I think I have the right restaurant name). A Brazilian friend who cooks seafood 3 - 4 times per week turned me on to the fish counter that's inside that market and it's great - very fresh and very fair prices.

I agree with you on both points.

I lived in Rutherford for ten years. I don't think a high end bakery would survive.

And please don't tell too many people about the fish store behind the Crow's Nest or else we'll be waiting on long lines Xmas Eve.. :-)

Actually, I order all my fish a few days ahead and pick it up Xmas Eve, and do NOT have to wait more than five minutes. They are very organized, unlike the old North American Lobster..

That's a shame about the fish market. If you want some really good fresh seafood try the "farm market" on Rte 17 South next to the Crow's Nest Restaurant in Hasbrouck Heights (I think I have the right restaurant name).  A Brazilian friend who cooks seafood 3 - 4 times per week turned me on to the fish counter that's inside that market and it's great - very fresh and very fair prices.

Whoa, how did I not know about this place? I didn't even know there was another "farm market" up there. (I know the one further down on Rt 17 N next to Staples.)

Thanks!

(Straying way OT from bakeries but this is a valuable tip for me.)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

That's a shame about the fish market. If you want some really good fresh seafood try the "farm market" on Rte 17 South next to the Crow's Nest Restaurant in Hasbrouck Heights (I think I have the right restaurant name).  A Brazilian friend who cooks seafood 3 - 4 times per week turned me on to the fish counter that's inside that market and it's great - very fresh and very fair prices.

Whoa, how did I not know about this place? I didn't even know there was another "farm market" up there. (I know the one further down on Rt 17 N next to Staples.)

Thanks!

(Straying way OT from bakeries but this is a valuable tip for me.)

It's inside the farmers market behind the Crow's Nest, on The Boulevard...Now SHHHHHHHH

Edited by Cook456 (log)

Hello again, part of the reason we posted this is to learn what people in the towns that we are looking into think about having a bakery. We are in the process of writing our business plan now and this is part of our research. Jill grew up in South Jersey, but hasn't been around much the last few years. We will travel around NJ looking at towns and look for a space to open the bakery. Depending on the type of space and where it is located (strip mall, main road, etc.) we will then decide exactly what we should be marketing.

We really appreciate everyone helping us, and hearing about the fish markets closing due to ShopRite is a huge help for us, it does give us an idea of what the clientele would be. Right now we are focusing on places that have a Whole Foods in the immediate area because people that shop at Whole Foods will tend to go for higher quality over good prices. Atleast in my experience that is true. Thanks again everyone and we will be sure to keep you posted!

Stephen W.

Pastry Chef/Owner

The Sweet Life Bakery

Vineland, NJ

This may be a real far out idea, but perhaps the old Shop Rite on the strip next to the Bergen Mall could be subdivided into a location for your bakery and some other stores? It's been vacant for years, and with the Bergen Mall planning an upscale renovation in the near future (including a gargantuan Whole Foods store) there may be a market for such a bakery.

BTW, does anyone know of any good quality patisseries in Bergen County besides Patisserie St. Michel in Teaneck?

This may be a real far out idea, but perhaps the old Shop Rite on the strip next to the Bergen Mall could be subdivided into a location for your bakery and some other stores? It's been vacant for years, and with the Bergen Mall planning an upscale renovation in the near future (including a gargantuan Whole Foods store) there may be a market for such a bakery.

BTW, does anyone know of any good quality patisseries in Bergen County besides Patisserie St. Michel in Teaneck?

The Petite Patisserie in Dumont is also excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Please! One more plea for RIdgewood-- we can use both a great cake and bread bakery! Not a cafe, just a good cake and bread bakery -- maybe some cupcakes...muffins, croissants on weekends... please............

jan

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Summit, NJ is THE place for you! We have a busy

business district in this high end town. Our rather olde

fashioned bakery closed this past year. Smaller

bakeries in adjacent towns have closed over the past

few years. This leaves a wide geographic circle of bereft,

pastry-less folks...also without the more mundane items

such as danish.....the cupcakes & cookies kids in the

strollers [and oldsters also] enjoyed and a place to place

special orders for occassion cakes,etc.

Summit, NJ is THE place for you! We have a busy

business district in this high end town. Our rather olde

fashioned bakery closed this past year. Smaller

bakeries in adjacent towns have closed over the past

few years. This leaves a wide geographic circle of bereft,

pastry-less folks...also without the more mundane items

such as danish.....the cupcakes & cookies kids in the

strollers [and oldsters also] enjoyed and a place to place

special orders for occassion cakes,etc.

Isn't Natale's still open in Summit?

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

• 4 months later...

Wow-Hate to pull up an old post-but I've been working out of a restaurant for the past several years doing special occassion and wedding cakes ONLY. I'm in Freehold and I've looked for a place (as well as a few friends of mine with related interests) for a few years now. With real estate prices of $34. a square foot around Rt. 9-It's no wonder good bakeries aren't opening up! Gotta sell alot of petit fours to cover that kind of rent! Ugh! Looks like the majority of us in Monmouth County are going to be eating the sent-in frozen cakes from our supermarket chains.

Palmas in Manalapan is just working out of their warehouse in Englishtown only-their rent on RT. 9 wasn't cost effective. Seems that's a growing trend in bakeries-just having a warehouse workspace.