• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

montclair or thereabouts

kieran

I'm looking for suggestions for good restaurants where I can buy my parents some gift certificates for Christmas. I haven't lived in the area for some time and am not too familiar with the culinary scene there now. My parents live in Kinnelon and have a regular subscription to the Papermill Playhouse in Montclair, so I was hoping for some recommendations in/around that area so they can have some nice meals before/after the theater. I'd like to get gift certificates at two or three different places, so all suggestions are welcome. They're fairly adventurous eaters, but always appreciate the classic standbys, especially Italian food and steak.

Thanks for any recommendations you might have!

Kieran

The Papermill Playhouse is in Millburn, BIG difference. Let us know which one you meant so we can help.

I think you must mean Millburn since you mention they have a subscription to the Papermill. In Millburn, I think Basilico which serves Northern Italian food is excellent. It's kind of hip and modern looking inside. I also enjoy eating at Lilac (French) the food is quite good and it's small but very pretty with a more romantic flair. Both cater to the theater crowd.

Lori

The Papermill Playhouse is in Millburn, BIG difference. Let us know which one you meant so we can help.

You're right. I spaced on this. Thanks for calling it out.

(Although I'm interested in stuff in Montclair too, since I know there will be more options there... )

Thanks!

Why don't you get them a gift certificate for Highlawn Pavilion in West Orange. They will enjoy the food as well as the beautiful view.

Won't it be dark at dinner? :biggrin:

Maybe they won't use it until the summer. :)

Would other people also endorse the food there?