• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the buzz on Cô Ba?

carswell

Cô Ba (1124 Laurier West, 514 908-1889) took over the space formerly known as Ginza. Decor appears little changed. Food said to be Thai/pan-Asian sushi bar. Sign in the window says BYOW. Given the pitiful excuses for wine lists at most of Montreal's sushi bars and Asian eateries, the idea of BYO has appeal, especially as the resto's prices are reasonable. Yet, I've never seen a review and word on the street is nil. Any reports?

I think Asian restos are beginning to tune into the need...

Really? Tell us more. Would there were a local Asian eatery with a wine list as interesting as, say, The Slanted Door's.

this is more funny than your joke about the borsao

i dont think there is even a resto in asia with a better food or wine than slanted door, i find it the best i have been to

i dont feel tht we will see the genious of their loire cab franc pairing with their ribs anytime soon here

Hi Carswell, this is funny that you speak of the slanted door, I have been there this summer, at the new location in the renovated ferry building. This is not by any mean a typical Asian eatery however. Would be great to have a mini Slanted right here in Montreal. That is a great space. The wine list is very pan asian oriented of course. Huge selection of riesling. When we went there, we expected a much smaller place, the space is pretty darn big. Speaking of, Suzanne Liu was on Distasio last week I think, how old is that women, I think she has a special eternal youth gene.

I haven't been since the move, ID. Though friends tell me the food and overall experience are not quite as spectacular as they used to be, the wine list appears not to have suffered. And while the exact list would be hard to reproduce here in Montreal, it wouldn't be hard to put together a "light" version. Heck, you could probably do so just by selecting appropriate bottles from Bû's wine list. Combine that with the cooking at, say, Au Cyclo, Jun-i or Petit Treehouse and you'd have a winner.

Edited by carswell (log)

how long ago?

i ordered food from them on the weekend and really the quality of some of the stuff is still great (maki) but the rest is now reduced to catfood (sashimi - slimy and tasteless), beef salad filet minon (more like dried beef, over spices), gyoza (not perfect and crisp like before, soggy but still too small to be good gyoza like before)

i found it sad

tri is a nice man but really he is not a GREAT sushi shef but for sure the best ever in montreal

They told me about 3 months ago. About the fish selection, it can only be an issue of suppliers is my guess if indeed the fish is bad. There is no such thing as regional fish envie when companies like Fedex have made gazillion flying fish all around the world faster than I can pick one up downtown Montreal...

very true my friend but it comes down to to the issue of cost

fish from fulton is expensive but less so now thanks to our roring dollar but still i dont find great sushi in montreal. my favorite is sushi zenya and also i like jun-yi but many years ago tri was the best and the brightest. also innovator with the privat importerd saki and cold sakes which was a novelty 10 years ago

still i believe we have the best lobster and shellfish in canada and who can forget the seafood form the magdalene iles!

things i am searching for in montreal:

best yakitori

best gyoza

best omakase

re: the byob on Park, sorry for taking a while to get back about it.

I've lost the card a friend gave me, but the same friend tells me it's Yukkai (sp?) and near Fairmount. She quite likes it, I've not yet been, but am curious. I suspect it's a good mid-end kind of joint...

re: the byob on Park, sorry for taking a while to get back about it.

I've lost the card a friend gave me, but the same friend tells me it's Yukkai (sp?) and near Fairmount. She quite likes it, I've not yet been, but am curious. I suspect it's a good mid-end kind of joint...

Hello to everyone