• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Poached pasta

Liza

On Nigel Slater's programme yesterday a chef made a very unusual pasta dish. He used a sheet of fresh pasta and a filling of spinach and ricotta and rolled it up like a jellyroll. Wrapped the thing in foil, and poached it for 20 minutes. Took the log o'pasta, sliced it into discs, placed said discs in a baking dish, topped with sauce and broiled. It looked quite yummy but was it heresy? Is this sort of thing done in Italy or elsewhere? Should I dare try it at home or will I risk being carted off by the pasta police?

Should I dare try it at home or will I risk being carted off by the pasta police?

Sounds to me like grand fun to try, and then get back to us as to how it turned out.

PS - Don't invite the "pasta police" and I mean that literally.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

What's all this then? "Poached" pasta? Y'mean pasta what 'as been POACHED? Step over there, ma'am, if you'd be so kind. Quickly now.

[sounds interesting.]

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

What's all this then? "Poached" pasta? Y'mean pasta what 'as been POACHED? Step over there, ma'am, if you'd be so kind. Quickly now.

Drop that pasta and no one gets hurt.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I have a book on italian cooking; it actually has several recipes of this kind.

I can give more details, when i get home.

Another similar recipe, was in the Avventura (sp?) book; the idea you poach

a fat log of pasta dough, and when it's done, you cut it in cubes and sauce them.

Helena - I love your avatar. It looks like a large lady sitting next to a small refrigerator.

It's quite reminiscent of me. Wish I had found it before you did :biggrin:

This is indeed really Italian. We had it first some 25 years ago in Orvieto, and couldn't wait to try it at home. You should find recipes for it in Hazan and Bugiali. A pasta sheet is spread with a (spinach and ricotta) filling, rolled up like a jelly-roll, wrapped and tied like a sausage in cheese cloth then poached. When cool enough to handle and slice, slices are placed in a baking dish, overlapping shingle-style, dribbled with marinara sauce and bechamel, then dusted with freshly grated parmesan before baking until hot and bubbly. A show-stopper.

eGullet member #80.

Well, when you think about it, "poaching" is pretty-much what we do to most pasta, isn't it?