• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vignerons Independents

Sackville

As my last post didn't get any replies, I assume most of you haven't had the pleasure of attending a Vignerons Independents show in France. Essentially, it's a gathering of hundreds of France's independent wine producers. For 6 euros you get a glass and free entry to the show, where you can taste thousands of wines from around the country and talk to the people who made them. In other words, heaven!

Last year we had a car and bought much more but this year we were travelling by train so I could only bring back what I could carry, so I kept myself to 5 top picks (2 bottles of each).

wine2.jpg

Chateau Haute Fontaine, 2001, AC Corbieres Controlee. A grenache / syrah mix, spicy, lots of red and black fruits, soft tannins. Delicious now but could keep for a bit. Cost 8 euros.

wine4.jpg

AC Cote de Nuits Villages 2003 from Domaine Charles Allexant et Fils. The most expensive bottle we bought at 13 euros but drinking beautifully. Light and fruity, just as it should be.

wine3.jpg

Beaujolais Nouveau 2005. AC Beaujolais Villages. Domaine de la Cote des Charmes. Jacques Trichard. Cost 5.30 euros.

wine5.jpg

Clos La Selmonie. Bergerac Sec 2002. From Chrisian Beigner. High acidity but full of tropical fruits like pineapples. Cost was around 5.50 euros.

85834ee7.jpg

AC Touraine. Sauvignon Reserve 1999. Some apples, citrus flavours. Also some steely and mineraly notes. Again, around the 5 euro mark.

Thanks for the great photos, sack! You're right, I don't think anyone else here was able to attend, so we appreciate the report, and I certainly hope you will follow up with some tasting notes.

For more eye candy from last year's VI, see Lucy Vanel's (bleudavergne) report here.

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook