• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Leftover Filling from Butternut Squash Ravioli

Khadija

I have some leftover filling from a batch of butternut squash ravioli. It consists of the squash (of course), butter, s & p, and a bit of nutmeg. Any ideas about what I can do with it? I don't feel like making more stuffed pasta right now, but I need to use it up. I've been thinking about soup, but I'm wondering about other possibilities.

Soup is always good. However You can beat some egg yolks and cream, stir into the squash, beat the egg whites separately then fold into the mixture. Pour into a buttered souffle dish and bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees until it is puffy and browned, about 15-20 minutes.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Soup is always good.  However You can beat some egg yolks and cream, stir into the squash, beat the egg whites separately then fold into the mixture.  Pour into a buttered souffle dish and bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees until it is puffy and browned, about 15-20 minutes.

same basic idea, but toss in a little parmigiano and put it in a crust, for a really lovely tart.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Add a lot of parmesan, make phyllo dough triangles with them and serve 'em as appetizers.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I did wind up making the soup, because my partner really wanted it. I forgot to mention in my first post that the mixture did have a lot of reggiano, which really came through in the soup. However, I really like the tart idea! I've done the phyllo dough appetizers before, but forgot about that those. Thanks for reminding me.

We love butternut squash, so I think I'll need get some more so we can try out some of these dishes!