• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Substituting butter for shortening

Mooshmouse

It's that time of year again and I'm getting ready to fire up the oven for the annual onslaught of Cookie Exchange baking.

I found two great variants of sugar cookies, Coconut Lime and Chocolate Espresso. My question is twofold: is it feasible to substitute butter for shortening and, if so, can the substitution be made on a 1:1 ratio?

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I wouldn't go there. One of my grandmother's christmas cookie recipes calls for 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup crisco. I was at my mother's for Christmas last year and she asked me to make up a batch - she was out of crisco and said, "just use butter, it'll work." Well, it didn't - the recipie has no eggs in it and that may have been a factor, but those poor cookies just drooled all over the place, didn't taste the same and looked absolutely pathetic.

Also, don't forget that butter can contain quite a bit of water, which can make a big difference to the texture of the cookies. The only time I tried to sub butter for Crisco, it was a disaster.

In addition to the water issue (1 cup of butter has about 2 TB water in it that the Crisco lacks) there's also the salt issue -- if you use salted butter the result will be saltier than using Crisco, so you'd need to adjust that, or use unsalted butter.

If you're worried about transfat, Crisco has a transfat-free version of itself -- in a green can. There are some other brands, too.

If you use a good, European-style butter, like Plugra or Lurpak, you will reduce the water issue. Also, I would personal recommend never cooking or baking with salted butter. You can always add salt.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

If you are subbing butter for Crisco, you may also need to change the mixing method or ingredient ratios.

For example, if you are converting a peanut butter cookie recipe to all-butter, you will find that the cookies spread more so you'll have to tinker with the recipe (maybe add more whole eggs or egg whites, less peanut butter, add some granulated peanuts to make up for the flavor, cream the butter and sugar less) to get decent results.

The bottom line is: you can't (and may not want to) make a direct substitution of butter and shortening and be prepared to tinker.

Edited by Char (log)

Has anyone tried using clarified butter instead of Crisco? The clarification process elimiinates the water, so some of the problems alluded to above should disappear.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

Thanks for the input, everyone... all most worthy of consideration. :smile:

I seem to remember substituting butter for shortening in a toffee-flavoured version of the same cookies with no real ill effects other than a little extra spreading on the cookie sheet. But, if I have time, I'll do test batches of each and report back on my findings.

Cheers!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg