• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White clam sauce

Dear Lidia,

I was one of your earlest customers at Felidia's back in the early 1980's and the food just captivated me. I enjoy your PBS shows and learn a lot from them. One dish I enjoy so much is linguine con vongole. It is the essence of simplicity with few ingredients, yet few people make it really well. Would you descibe your technique for this dish and include "do's and don't's", specific ingrdients (type of clams, etc)?

Not over working it is at the base of this simplistic dish but with it comes the difficulty of treating each ingredient properly. You can't over cook the clams, and they need to be the freshest possible. The oil needs to be at its best, and you can't overheat it. And it's very important that you don't burn the garlic.

To keep it all juicy, do not underestimate the cooking pasta water. Add a little bit to the mix.