• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Everyday Cognac, Armagnac, Brandy, etc.

mrbigjas

So, I picked up a few bottles of Louis Royer Force 53 Cognac yesterday, and mixed up some Improved Brandy Cocktails with 2 ounces of cognac, around 2/3 tsp of homemade gomme syrup, 1/2 tsp of Luxardo maraschino and a few dashes of absinthe.  Really nice, and entirely different from what you get using an 80 proof cognac.

In the interest of Science, have you considered trying it with the same brand brought down to normal bottle proof (ie, around 80) to make sure that it's not just due to brand differences?

Not that it really matters, but it's an excuse to have another Improved Brandy Cock-tail.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

• 3 weeks later...

I recently went through a bottle of Chalfonte VSOP Cognac. It was better than its modest price would suggest. Later, I was surprised to see Robert Hess using it, and even recommending it, in one of his video podcasts.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

I recently went through a bottle of Chalfonte VSOP Cognac.  It was better than its modest price would suggest.  Later, I was surprised to see Robert Hess using it, and even recommending it, in one of his video podcasts.

I just purchased two bottles of this on recommendation of my trusted liquor supplier. I asked for something that wasn't going to break the bank and would be a great mixing brandy/cognac and he said, "That's an easy one!" Out came a bottle of hte Chalfonte VSOP. Works for me!!!

Cheers!

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them. -Winston Churchill

Co-Author: The Scofflaw's Den

• 1 month later...

GO GET DANEIL BOUJOU!

This brand of Congnac is sold by Binnys in Chicago and they ship to alot of places

The Brut De Fut Royal is Outstanding!

The Premier Aromes is killer good for cocktails.

I don't think I've had many cognacs that compare to these

I am also loving Masion Surenne Pettit Champagne and Bordieres now if they only made a couple of Brut de Futs that would be great!

Daniel Boujou is It!

It is the bottles I orderd did not have a non filter statement however from the looks of it I belive it is the same.

I am telling you this is some unbelivable cognac it is loud and proud with tons of layers of flavor.

It made a fantastic brandy punch from Dave W. "Imbibe"

The Preimer Aromes is at 90 proof is also fantastic it is very fruity light and ariy.

makes fantastic fruity brandy based cocktails! I don't know if they pull more of the heads of the distilation and that what makes it fruiter, but it is definately more grapey juicy than most cognacs.

Makes for an extra juicy Side Car.

• 1 month later...

CAMUS VS

Great cognac for cocktails not too expensive.

Paul Pacult lists it as the best VS on the Market It realy has beautiful flavor and nice depth for a young cognac.

definalely gets my vote as one of the best every day cognacs

really like Villa Zarri Brandy 10 year.

It is an Italian Brandy nice creamy woody facet to the background

slightly different than a French brandy but very delightfull. makes great cocktails.

distributed by Winebow in the east cost

• 3 weeks later...

Any one tried Salignac Congac VS? It is quite inexpesive and very nice for cocktail making. What is up whith Salignac? who imorts it? It seems to be a very old brand. They only seem to make a VS rite now. What do you all think?

Love Planat VS and XO great value lovely cognac.

I just find it so suprising that the major producers of cognac such as Hennesey, Remmy, and Curvoursier make infirior procuts compared to Planat, Masion Surrene, Camus, so on and so forth. People are bieng bamboosled by the name and not the flavor.

And to top the whole thing off the cognacs of the smaller houses are cheaper!

• 8 months later...

I tried Stock 84 VSOP this week. It was priced right, it's made by Italy's largest spirit maker, aged in oak casks, etc....so I thought 'what the heck'. I don't care for it. The brandy is very, very It's back to Hardy VS Cognac for me. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Craig

During lunch with the Arab leader Ibn Saud, when he heard that the king’s religion forbade smoking and alcohol, Winston Churchill said: "I must point out that my rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite the smoking of cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after, and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Ibn Saud relented and the lunch went on with both alcohol & cigars.

• 1 year later...

I grabbed a bottle of Marie Duffau Napoleon Bas Armagnac for holiday cooking & drinking, and it's remarkable. I think I paid $32 or so for it, and it's as good or better as most of the VSOP cognacs I've had in the house. Making a Saratoga with it now, in fact.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Hardy "Red Corner" VS Cognac is selling for $20-22 per bottle in these parts. It is a great mixing cognac and works well in cocktails and punches. It's just a wee bit hot for enjoying neat, but it's a solid mixer at a reasonable (but not cheap per se) price.

During lunch with the Arab leader Ibn Saud, when he heard that the king’s religion forbade smoking and alcohol, Winston Churchill said: "I must point out that my rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite the smoking of cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after, and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." Ibn Saud relented and the lunch went on with both alcohol & cigars.

• 1 year later...

Matthew,

I have it and it's delicious stuff. Intense sweetness in the midpalate, attractive youthful vigor. A bit rough around the edges, but nothing using it in a Brandy Crusta shouldn't solve.

Thanks,

Zachary

• 5 months later...

Has anyone tried the Pierre Ferrand 1840 Cognac? Any thoughts? I'm toying with the idea of picking up a bottle, but would like an opinion before I commit.

I've been using it in cocktails a lot and it's great. Most recent example, this Antilles cocktail with sweet and dry vermouths and just a touch of orange blossom water. In the past I used Remy Martin VSOP in my cocktails but always found it a little rough and I was never completely satisfied with the end result. So far I like the Pierre Ferrand 1840 much better (see here and here for other cocktails successfully made with the 1840, including this wonderful Tantris Sidecar).

8111064775_ec0a265304_z.jpg

The price seems fine too (at least in the US!). I found it for $37 at drinkupNY. I used to pay about the same for Remy Martin VSOP.

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)