• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum article

elixirofthetropics

I was skimming through the Carribean Travel and Life magazine that I bought today and had a note on the cover about the 20 best rums. Well, I turned to the rum article, and to my pleasant surprise, our great Mr. Hamilton wrote the article. A VERY helpful article in my exploration of rum as he not only recommend rums but rums for apertifs, cocktails, and after-dinner. Excellent article! :biggrin:

Edited by elixirofthetropics (log)

You will notice that this list of my top twenty rums differs slightly from that on my website.

There are a couple of reasons for this. First after every article where anyone talks about the best rums, I am flooded with email asking where they can buy everything on the list. While I do my best, there are a lot of rums that just aren't imported to the US and since many Americans feel that it is there right to be able to buy what ever they want, these lists can be a real problem.

What I would rather that publishers do is tell people to try as many different rums as possible with an eye toward developing their own list. Short of that, I suggest spending some time at places like eGullet where opinions are free and quite valuable.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, I have noticed. That is excellent advice regarding publishers. I try what I can and stick with what I like.

You will notice that this list of my top twenty rums differs slightly from that on my website.

There are a couple of reasons for this. First after every article where anyone talks about the best rums, I am flooded with email asking where they can buy everything on the list. While I do my best, there are a lot of rums that just aren't imported to the US and since many Americans feel that it is there right to be able to buy what ever they want, these lists can be a real problem.

What I would rather that publishers do is tell people to try as many different rums as possible with an eye toward developing their own list. Short of that, I suggest spending some time at places like eGullet where opinions are free and quite valuable.