• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pandoro

gnuf

I'm interested in making pandoro, a sweet Italian yeast bread, typically made around Christmastime. It's like panettone, but made in a different shaped pan. The recipe I'm going to use comes from Carol Field's "The Italian Baker". Trouble is, I'm having a hard time finding the mold to make it in. She says that the tall star-shaped tin is the traditional pan to bake pandoro in.

I've checked at Golda's Kitchen and Pasquale Bros. and a few other shops with no luck.

Does anyone know of a retailer in the GTA, or a store that will ship to Canada? Sur La Table carries one, but I don't think they ship up here.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on my search. Unfortunately, I still haven't found the pan yet. Places in the GTA which do not carry it:

* Golda's Kitchen

* Pasquale Bros.

* Consiglio's U-Save Centre

* Tap Phong Trading Co.

* Fortune Houseware

* Nikolaou Restaurant Equipment

* Cayne's Housewares

* St. Lawrence Market

Call Nella, perhaps? Although if the others don't have it...

Know any good Italian bakeries and/or pastry chefs in your area? Perhaps they could direct you?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Even though I haven't been successful, I've got a whole list of equipment stores now, many that I didn't know of before.

Here are more places that didn't have it:

* McCall's

* Jolanta Interiors

* The Cook's Place

* Kitchen Essentials

* Seafood Depot

* Nella Cucina

* Le Chef Complet

* Dinetz

* Academy of Culinary Arts

Note that I didn't actually go to all of these stores, just called them and asked.

The Italian bakeries I've been to just carry the imported pandoro loaves, no one seems to make it themselves. My instructors at George Brown already suggested the kitchen supply stores in the Spadina Chinatown and Kensington areas.

Two places in the US sell it online: Sur La Table and Fante's. I also saw one on eBay. So those are options as well. But it's become like a scavenger hunt now to see if I can find it in Toronto :smile: