• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oink

Daniel

You know.. I have only been eating Pork for about a year now. And have yet to eat spam.. I have had pork roll!!! There are a bunch of parts missing from this dinner.. I didnt include, liver, blood,spleen either.. There might always be a P-fest Part Deux.. :biggrin:

oh dear...oh my... OH GOLLY GOSH......

ah do believe ah am having the vapors... or i need a cigarette after that orgasm of pig.

beautiful, daniel and i want that cake

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oh dear . . . Never eaten Spam. For your next assignment, you have to strap an airplane to your butt and get off to Hawaii for a true Spam-fest. Nowhere in the world cooks with Spam as well as there. Do not turn up your nose at pizza with Spam and pineapple! :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

You know.. I have only been eating Pork for about a year now. And have yet to eat spam.. I have had pork roll!!! There are a bunch of parts missing from this dinner.. I didnt include, liver, blood,spleen either.. There might always be a P-fest Part Deux..   :biggrin:

Part II should be dishes all involving pig innards. I think it'd be cool to do an offal-themed dinner. But the dessert would be tricky--hmm...chocolate-enrobed spleen anyone?

Edited by Ling (log)

Part II should be dishes all involving pig innards. I think it'd be cool to do an offal-themed dinner. But the dessert would be tricky--hmm...chocolate-enrobed spleen anyone?

Better yet, pig's head. Chocolate covered eyeballs beat CC cherries or strawberries any day for dessert.

all fantastic, but one question, where is the SPAM?

You know.. I have only been eating Pork for about a year now. And have yet to eat spam.

Oh dear . . . Never eaten Spam. For your next assignment, you have to strap an airplane to your butt and get off to Hawaii for a true Spam-fest. Nowhere in the world cooks with Spam as well as there. Do not turn up your nose at pizza with Spam and pineapple! :laugh:

Heh. I must now relate a tale told to me by a foodie friend of mine some years back--long enough so that I can't remember if the tale happened to him personally, or to a friend of his. Anyway, whoever the cook in question was, he was working from what looked like a luscious recipe for a ham loaf. He spent all day chopping and grinding and seasoning to put this loaf together, baked it as specified, waited for it to cool, and then finally got to taste his creation ... only to realize "Oh my god--I've just made Spam!" :-) :laugh:

Having said that, I do know that this much-maligned meat product can rise to great heights when handled by a Hawaiian well versed in "local" cooking. However, I confess I don't know if I could handle the Spam pizza--but not because of the Spam part of it, rather the pineapple. It's just the New Yorker in me, who still has this knee-jerk reaction about certain types of pizza toppings. :smile:

I've been lurking/lusting/drooling over this thread for a while now. Daniel a shout out of thanks to both you and your wonderful girlfriend. I want to say all of your efforts were awesome, but that word seems insufficient, but I'll use it anyway; all of it was AWESOME! I do have some questions however:

1) How did you decide on what recipes to use? With all of that pork, I would have assumed that there might have been (deliciously, but predictably) some barbeque-like fare. Not a complaint, but I'm curious.

2) Did your pals know that this was going to be a pork-a-thon? First off, I'm a pork lover in all it's many forms, but did you have alternatives for those who might not have been able to worship at the altar of the pig?

3) Girly-girl question, but what kind of side dishes did you have?

4) Will you be doing a part deux(2)? Maybe take it to a new level: chitlins', maws, pig tails, pig feet (cooked and pickled), cracklin' bread, pork pudding, scrapple, blood sausage, etc. Sort of an advanced "pigout."

5) BTW, I've never had Spam before either and I've been eating pork much longer than you. Maybe I'll have to get a little "crazy" and try some. :biggrin:

Edited for grammar and added comments.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Spam is like eating a square weenie with allspice.

Well, damn, that did it racheld. I'll have to try it............... and soon! :biggrin: Perhaps a side-by-side comparison of scrapple and spam, with grits and eggs, of course. Sort of a porky breakfast overload. :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I've been lurking/lusting/drooling over this thread for a while now.  Daniel a shout out of thanks to both you and your wonderful girlfriend.  I want to say all of your efforts were awesome, but that word seems insufficient, but I'll use it anyway; all of it was AWESOME!  I do have some questions however:

1)  How did you decide on what recipes to use?  With all of that pork, I would have assumed that there might have been (deliciously, but predictably) some barbeque-like fare.  Not a complaint, but I'm curious.

2)  Did your pals know that this was going to be a pork-a-thon?  First off, I'm a pork lover in all it's many forms, but did you have alternatives for those who might not have been able to worship at the altar of the pig?

3)  Girly-girl question, but what kind of side dishes did you have?

4)  Will you be doing a part deux(2)?  Maybe take it to a new level: chitlins', maws, pig tails, pig feet (cooked and pickled), cracklin' bread, pork pudding, scrapple, blood sausage, etc.  Sort of an advanced "pigout."

5)  BTW, I've never had Spam before either and I've been eating pork much longer than you.  Maybe I'll have to get a little "crazy" and try some. :biggrin:

Edited for grammar and added comments.

1)BBQ was too predictable in my book.. I was throwing a PorkFest and didnt want anything that people expected to have.. Also, living in Manhattan, I dont eat BBQ unless its smoked..(Actually as I am writing this, I am watching my smoker outside my place upstate.. I have three racks, bacon stuffed and wrapped trout, and some brandy soaked quails going)Boiled pork with some sauce gooped over wont be found in my kitchen.. I did serve bacon, not pictured, but I had them in sticks standing in a bread stick container..

2)My pals did know it was going to be a PorkFest.. The alternative was hanging out and drinking beers.. But everyone complied..

3)There were no side dishes.. It was funny because as I was planning the menu, my girl reminded me that there was no vegetables or side dishes.. I was well aware.. This was a PorkFest, so vegetables had no place.. I served each dish in stages, not buffet, so each dish was a seperate course not needing side dishes..

4) I definately think I will do a PorkFest Part Deux.. I really need my friend who just moved to Seattle to be there.. And now that I have some credibility with my friends I can serve other options.. Liver, spleen, ear salad, and anything else..

5)Go for it.. I wish I had read this earlier.. I would have thrown some in the smoker.. I think life is boring if there is nothing to look forward to.. :biggrin:

1)BBQ was too predictable in my book.. I was throwing a PorkFest and didnt want anything that people expected to have.. Also, living in Manhattan, I dont eat BBQ unless its smoked..(Actually as I am writing this, I am watching my smoker outside my place upstate.. I have three racks, bacon stuffed and wrapped trout, and some brandy soaked quails going)Boiled pork with some sauce gooped over wont be found in my kitchen..  I did serve bacon, not pictured, but I had them in sticks standing in a bread stick container..

2)My pals did know it was going to be a PorkFest.. The alternative was hanging out and drinking beers.. But everyone complied..

3)There were no side dishes.. It was funny because as I was planning the menu, my girl reminded me that there was no vegetables or side dishes.. I was well aware.. This was a PorkFest, so vegetables had no place.. I served each dish in stages, not buffet, so each dish was a seperate course not needing side dishes..

4) I definately think I will do a PorkFest Part Deux.. I really need my friend who just moved to Seattle to be there.. And now that I have some credibility with my friends I can serve other options.. Liver, spleen, ear salad, and anything else..

5)Go for it.. I wish I had read this earlier.. I would have thrown some in the smoker.. I think life is boring if there is nothing to look forward to..  :biggrin:

Thanks so much Daniel.

Re: #1 -- Thanks for the insight. Absolutely agree on nixing any ersatz bbq; better none at all. BTW, what's on your smoker sounds heavenly.

Re: #2 -- Great. That's so refreshing to hear, especially nowadays where you can hardly get 5 people together for dinner, let alone 10, without hearing who can't eat this, who can't eat that, I'm on a "special diet" and so on. I'd cook for these guys any day!

Re: #3 -- Your answer to this one made me LOL since I just knew that was a totally "girly-girl" question.

Re: #4 -- Yum. Way to go. BTW, I will absolutely pass out if you can get those guys to eat chitlins. :biggrin:

Re: #5 -- Smoked Spam, mmmmmmmmmmm sounds tasty. Well, as long as you're around, we'll all have something great to look forward to.

All the best to you and your girl.

• 2 weeks later...
You know.. I have only been eating Pork for about a year now. And have yet to eat spam.. I have had pork roll!!! There are a bunch of parts missing from this dinner.. I didnt include, liver, blood,spleen either.. There might always be a P-fest Part Deux..  :biggrin:

How on earth did I miss this thread the first time around? Good glistening girthy porklord, your party should have been documented by the world's leading gluttonographers, shown at Sundance and nominated for a James Beard Award.

(I like how you capitalized the word Pork, by the way).

Daniel, have you ever tried scrapple?