• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oink

Daniel

Please post porcine pictures promptly! :wink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Yes, yes, yes!!!! I cannot wait to see the delights that come out of that kitchen o' yours, Daniel. Will you be washing all the pork down with your keg of Bud, or is that for a different gathering? :laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Yo killen me Man! Wilbur screams Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The rest of use drool in anticipation

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Are you telling me that you're getting 10 pounds of BACON?! Oh man, I'll just follow the aroma of bacon to your place and crash this party of yours. OINK! :biggrin:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Are you telling me that you're getting 10 pounds of BACON?! Oh man, I'll just follow the aroma of bacon to your place and crash this party of yours.  OINK! :biggrin:

Yah.. In my fridge I have about 40 pounds of various pork products.. Its almost overwhelming. :biggrin:

gallery_15057_1168_169570.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Are you telling me that you're getting 10 pounds of BACON?! Oh man, I'll just follow the aroma of bacon to your place and crash this party of yours.  OINK! :biggrin:

Yah.. In my fridge I have about 40 pounds of various pork products.. Its almost overwhelming. :biggrin:

I love how it's sitting on a washing machine. It's like when Varmint's Pig Pickin' goat was sitting in his bathtub.

Not as bad as having a pig head stare at you when you're reaching for a beer. :laugh:

Mmmm...pork.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

The Non-Co's are doing ok.. I had to go out at one point yesterday and get a straight razor for scoring the skin on the shoulder.. But after that, everything was irie.. While butchering the pig's head I could have used more powerful knife.. But I went the gentle approach and used a hammer to break the cheek... But everything is comming together really well.. Hors Devours are almost done, have two desserts left, and the other dishes just need to go into the oven...

Edited by Daniel (log)

Tonight went great... The best part was seeing all my friends.. I will post the pictures and do the write up soon..The meal was a little over the top with all the courses.. But it was the first time cooking any of these dishes and most of the cuts of meat.. What a great time..

Here is cool shot of boiled bacon..

gallery_15057_2091_378781.jpg

Tonight went great... The best part was seeing all my friends.. I will post the pictures and do the write up soon..The meal was a little over the top with all the courses.. But it was the first time cooking any of these dishes and most of the cuts of meat.. What a great time..

Here is cool shot of boiled bacon..

Oooh...We are not worthy. (salaaming)

Can't wait to see the rest of it. Hail to the pig!

Karen C.

you tease!!! Stop the torture.

--------------------

So the Porkfest was a huge success...The biggest thanks and praise goes to my girlfriend.. She really worked so hard and let me hang out and drink beer with my friends.. She did such a great job.

We had hors devours waiting for people when they arrived.. The first dish was pork tenderloin brined for two days served on crostini, with a puree of sweet potatoes and bacon.. This dish is fantastic. The tenderloin really absorbs the brine, which consists of star anise, all spice, equal parts sugar and salt.. Great dish

gallery_15057_2091_627157.jpg

We also had mini pork burgers.. This was a little bit of an after thought. I basically took spicy Italian Sausage out of the casings and made into burger.. I wasn't going to make this until I found the mini potato rolls.. I was going to do this with country ham, but went this route..

gallery_15057_2091_295797.jpg

Next, I took 10 pounds of smoked ham hocks.. Boiled with carrots,celery,onion,leek, a bouquet garni.. Then I shredded the meat added some of the reserved stock... To that I added Cornichons, onions, capers, then added some gelatin and put in Terrine..

gallery_15057_2091_607223.jpg

gallery_15057_2091_886892.jpg

Served with toast

gallery_15057_2091_444337.jpg

gallery_15057_2091_566470.jpg

So these were the starters.. I had waited to long to order a keg of beer.. But in all reality, with the deposit, the delivery, the returning of the tap and everything else, the convenience of a keg was taken away.. So a cheap plastic mini garbage can, filled with bottles of beer, was the best choice...

It was difficult to really plan the menu out because I didn't know what time everyone was coming.. Some people were coming at 1pm others a 4pm.. Everyone showed up at 2 pm.. I only have one oven and all of the meats cooked for long amounts of time at different temperatures.. For example, I had a crown roast that needs at least 4 hours at 300 degrees.. Not to mention it took up all the space in the oven.. We worked it out and dishes came out at a perfect pace... People were served or came to get to get there own food.. There was no formal place settings and the football game was on.. So some ate in the dining room, others the kitchen or the living room..

First Course.. Boiled Bacon

7lbs of Bacon Boiled

Boiled first with leeks,carrots and onion for 2.5 hours.. Put in the fridge overnight..

gallery_15057_2091_613362.jpg

Then the skin layer is peeled leaving the this gorgeous pink meat.. A rub of star anise,coriander,cinnamon, is placed on it.. Then a glaze of port,rice wine vinegar and honey is brushed on.. It gets to room temperature and you serve.. It was phenomenal.. It was a few peoples favorite dish..

gallery_15057_2091_101617.jpg

Second Course: Pork Belly

We bought the Belly 6 1/2 pound pork belly with the skin off, but the butcher packed the skin.. We First tied the belly..

gallery_15057_2091_837202.jpg

Cut the skin into pieces.. And browned..

gallery_15057_2091_930426.jpg

Some things dont make it out of the kitchen

gallery_15057_2091_515225.jpg

Then we browned the belly.. The we placed the belly on top of the pieces of skin added vegetables and covered with chicken stock and soy sauce.. Braised for 3 hours..

gallery_15057_2091_534241.jpg

gallery_15057_2091_574125.jpg

Sliced it

gallery_15057_2091_526453.jpg

Fried the slices in foaming butter and then placed it in the reduced braising liquid..

gallery_15057_2091_888587.jpg

Oh gosh, if this was served on a plate it would be the base for an amazing meal..It was very good as it was though served to 10 people on a platter.. This was one of a few platters of the meat yielded.

gallery_15057_2091_226161.jpg

Third Course:

Next was the Pigs Head Dish.. PIgs headI described this dish in detail on another thread..This dish dried out a little.. Unfortunately, I made it too early or had the party too late.. It was still really good.. Everyone really like this dish until I told them what it was.. But people took it well and still thought it was good.. I was aware of the company and dont make a practice of sneaking people pig ears and tongues..

Fried this in butter..It was really creamy. .The sweetbreads,tongue and ear all melded together..

gallery_15057_2091_161500.jpg

gallery_15057_2091_607020.jpg

Fourth Course: We took 4lb Pork Loin Roast.. Hollowed a hold in the center running through.. Stuffed with bread cubes, bacon,garlic,rosemary and parsley..

Stuffed..

gallery_15057_2091_433692.jpg

Cooked..

gallery_15057_2091_131733.jpg

Fith Course:

16 Chop Crown Roast.. This thing was beautiful.. I guess now is the time to praise Espositos Pork Store.. They had all the meat and filled the order the same day. They were really helpful, helping me to my car and just overall really professional.. 16 chops stuffed with pork stuffing.. It was delicious.. Was moist and juicy as was all the pork.. Not one thing was dry..

gallery_15057_2091_654289.jpg

Here is a double chop plate for someone..

gallery_15057_2091_883525.jpg

Fith Course:

A 7.5 pound shoulder..The night before we scored the skin with a razor and salted it.. The day of we roasted in the oven..

gallery_15057_2091_654232.jpg

gallery_15057_2091_1090307.jpg

gallery_15057_2091_912865.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Cut the skin off and cut into small pieces..

gallery_15057_2091_150819.jpg

gallery_15057_2091_772881.jpg

Dessert

This was IMO the most creative and interesting part.. It really was based around tofee covered bacon.. Or Bacon Brittle or whatever you want to call it.. We basically cubed bacon, fried it and covered in tofee.. It really is amazing.. Covers the bacon in a protective sweet shell forever keeping it crisp..

gallery_15057_2091_662916.jpg

Beautiful

gallery_15057_2091_569471.jpg

Cake.. We made a Pierre Hermes Suzy's Cake.. Put the Toffee Bacon and a Caramel Ganache in between the layers.. Covered with the glaze from the Pave cake.. Giving the cake a hard shell.. It was delicious, rich, and the bacon went really well...

Served with a 10 egg yolk vanilla custard with toffee bacon..

gallery_15057_2091_469064.jpg

gallery_15057_2091_440700.jpg

gallery_15057_2091_954035.jpg

Thanks to Ling for the suggestion.. We made a Bacon Brioche Pudding with a sugar bourbon glaze.. This was awesome.. It really was delicious..

gallery_15057_2091_609914.jpg

Amazing..

gallery_15057_2091_936967.jpg

I am very thankful for what a great job my girlfriend did and what a great time I had with my friends.

Edited by Daniel (log)

Yum! You make me want to start eating land meat again.... almost! *sniffle tear* I miss pig's ear and the crispy skin! The toffee bacon looks amazing and reminds me of sweet suckling piglet... mmmm...

And I second BryanZ's question: how many people were you feeding?!

best . thread . EVER.

So inspiring to see all the hours and hours of prep work, and the delicious results! (That crispy skin on the pig shoulder...man, I wish I could've snagged an invite! :wink: ) So happy that the bacon brioche pudding turned out well! Which was your favourite dish of the night?

Edited by Ling (log)

Truly amazing. I see a grant from the pork insititue coming your way!

Bacon for dessert. Angels are singing your name in praise.

Have you checked your blood values lately? If I sat down for a meal like that I would need the crash cart half way through, not like its a bad thing, I just would have to interrupt my chewing.

--------------------

Thanks everyone for your comments.. It was a lot of fun to do.. I am considering a Lamboree and a Duckstock.. But these are just far away thoughts..

In total there were 10 guests.. Not including doormen and we had someone helping us who took home some food.. She is from Ecuador and actually took a lot of parts home.. The skin from the ham hocks, the skin from the 7 lb bacon to make a bacon potato soup.. It was interesting to see her reaction.. She actually loved a lot of the dishes and wants us to email her recipes..

Despite the huge amount of food, there were very few left overs.. I have about 6 chops left on the crown roast.. Two slices of cake and a bowl of ice cream left..

Last night I used the rest of the shoulder making a Cuban Sandwich.. The best thing I do have is huge amounts of Stock left over from boiling 10 pounds of ham hocks.. Oh the collard greens I will make..

gallery_15057_2056_824686.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)