• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oink

Daniel

Omigod. I am not worthy.

Daniel, that looks amazing - fantastic job! I think I might actually try the bacon-brioche bread pudding. After all, Ling is a dessert genius!

Well done.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

If I sat down for a meal like that I would need the crash cart half way through, not like its a bad thing, I just would have to interrupt my chewing.

My friend has a saying regarding eating a good meal. “Wheelchair, IV, gurney, remote.”

best . thread . EVER.

So inspiring to see all the hours and hours of prep work, and the delicious results! (That crispy skin on the pig shoulder...man, I wish I could've snagged an invite!  :wink: ) So happy that the bacon brioche pudding turned out well! Which was your favourite dish of the night?

Ditto.

Absolutely beautiful job, Daniel (and girlfriend). Now are you going to post these recipes, or tell us where they came from? I was a little apprehensive about pork-based desserts, but these looked delicious.

I'll have to take an extra dose of Lipitor tonight just from looking at those photos! :laugh:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Oh, my.  This meal gives new meaning to the phrase "pig out."  I think the desserts looked awesome!  I'd love to try some bacon toffee.

:laugh::laugh:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

What did you serve to drink, Daniel? I was thinking that Metamucil chasers might be nice for the departing guests.

I tried to get a keg.. But alas, it was too big of a deal.. We drank a variety of beers.. A lot of german wheat and white bears..

Oh, my.  This meal gives new meaning to the phrase "pig out."  I think the desserts looked awesome!  I'd love to try some bacon toffee.

Bacon Toffee is the best thing ever. I am not even speaking of the novelty aspects.. It really is awesome.. That ice cream was outrageous.. I tried it yesterday because I was thinking it couldnt be as good as I remembered.. It is..

If I sat down for a meal like that I would need the crash cart half way through, not like its a bad thing, I just would have to interrupt my chewing.

My friend has a saying regarding eating a good meal. “Wheelchair, IV, gurney, remote.”

best . thread . EVER.

So inspiring to see all the hours and hours of prep work, and the delicious results! (That crispy skin on the pig shoulder...man, I wish I could've snagged an invite!  :wink: ) So happy that the bacon brioche pudding turned out well! Which was your favourite dish of the night?

Ditto.

Absolutely beautiful job, Daniel (and girlfriend). Now are you going to post these recipes, or tell us where they came from? I was a little apprehensive about pork-based desserts, but these looked delicious.

I'll have to take an extra dose of Lipitor tonight just from looking at those photos! :laugh:

The recipes came from Bones, Cook's Book and Frank Stitt's Southern Table.. I would highly recommend Cook's Book and Frank Stitt's Book..

I should add the toffee bacon to the discussion then.. I was just looking over Scott Peacock's Southern Table book and they talked about the brown sugar bacon.. But havent seen any mention of toffee..

Daniel,

I'm speechless.

you have some lucky friends!!

One question. The bacon you used for the dessert courses. What kind of bacon was that? smoked or not?

Unsmoked.. Got a three pound slab from the butcher.. Cut it thick and cubed it..

I am speechless. And hungy. Daniel, I really do think you've outdone yourself this time!! Very impressive.

I :wub: pig!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

^^ I bow down to the master of meat. Daniel you are truly a freak in the best possible way!

The "bacon cake" has got to be one of the coolest thing's I've seen. I just made a "meat cake' myself recently but this takes 'the cake' :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Oh my, count me among the speechless. That's the most amazing meal I've ever heard of.

I've typed several things to say and deleted them all. I can't think of words worthy to compliment that.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Allow me to add to the chorus of adulation, Daniel. Even though that kind of meal would probably give me the most killer gout attack of all time, it would be worth the pain.

The porky desserts are awesome. But let me also put in an especial word of appreciation for that pretty terrine.

And then there is that pork belly--my new true meat-love--and all that luscious skin. And the humongous chops from that crown roast. And ...

Hell, who am I kidding? I want it all!!! :laugh:

Daniel, damn you a thousand times for putting those mouthwatering photos in front of my eyes before I've had breakfast!

In all seriousness, what an amazing meal. Like mizducky before me, I have to give credit to that incredible looking terrine. That terrine and the bacon desserts have stolen my heart.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Absolutely awesome. I'm showing this thread to everyone I know -- well, everyone who's into food, that is -- and it's like a bunch of teenage boys who've gotten their hands on their first issue of Playboy magazine or something. This is absolutely nuts. Fantastic job.

Even if I can't ever aspire to do anything even remotely similar, this is truly inspirational.

I should add the toffee bacon to the discussion then.. I was just looking over Scott Peacock's Southern Table book and they talked about the brown sugar bacon.. But havent seen any mention of toffee..

You should also add it to RecipeGullet! :biggrin:

I have looked at this topic and wondered . . . WTF? Then I finally saw the bit about the password being "oink" in your first post. I laughed my butt off. That list was a cool opening. Then I went from amazed to speechless.

One thing I didn't see but may have missed. What was the inspiration for this pork-fest?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose