• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Venison and other game

My father-in-law gave lucky me a deer. I'm off to the butcher in just a few minutes to pick up the packages of meat.

Have you had any experience with venison (or other game meat) in the SW region of France?

Can you suggest any recipes in your book in which I might substitute venison? What about sauces? I immediately thought of the Perigueux Sauce, but don't have a truffle on hand.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

My father-in-law gave lucky me a deer.  I'm off to the butcher in just a few minutes to pick up the packages of meat.

Have you had any experience with venison (or other game meat) in the SW region of France?

Can you suggest any recipes in your book in which I might substitute venison?  What about sauces?  I immediately thought of the Perigueux Sauce, but don't have a truffle on hand.

Lucky you, indeed! I checked out my books on French Pyrenees cooking but unfortunately did not find any recipes calling for venison. (I did find recipes for other game such as wild goat, bear's paw, wild boar, hare, and rabbit .)

I know that the Greeks make excellent stews with venison. There's a recipe on page 226 om my Slow Mediterranean Kitchen for a greek stew that was originally for venison. You might want to consider it. Enjoy your venison!

I agree that a sauce Perigueux could go very well with some of the cuts.

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.