• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ETA attacks Rioja Alta winery

mikeycook

I saw this strange artcle indicating that what was previously thought to be an accidental gas leak and explosion at Rioja Alta Winery in Haro (La Rioja) turned out to be a ETA bombing.

Does anyone know the significance of this? Why would ETA choose to bomb a winery as opposed to say a more typical target (i.e. government building, etc.)? They indicate a pamphlet was found calling for "the boycott of certain companies for failing to pay revolutionary taxes". Can anyone shed some light on this?

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

There was some mention in the opiece (via the link you provided) about companies that "fail to pay revolutionary taxes..."

Sounds like the old mob protection money scheme.

Even though the ETA is known for alerting people prior to their bombs going off as to ensure only property is destroyed--and regardless of what one thinks of their cause--they are engaging in terrorism.

It might be interesting to get some perspective on this bombing of an esteemed winery from our Spanish eGulleters.

This is very distressing news indeed. Rioja Alta is an historic institution in Haro and the producer of wines of world class and character. I have visited on various occasions and have fond memories in particular of a magnificent bodega lunch of first pimientos cooked over a wood fire and then baby chuletas similarly grilled over the hearth, accompanied by magnificent oak-aged Rioja reservas and gran reservas. Rioja Alavesa is actually located within the Basque country but it has always seemed a very long way from the troubles. This is very sad. I hope no one was hurt and not too much damage (and loss of wine) occurred.

Marc

It is what it seems, ETA is a terrorist and gangster band that not only kills but also blackmails the basque companies including chefs (remember last year scandal) and wineries, bear in mind that a big part of Rioja DO is in the Basque Country (Rioja Alavesa).

Shame.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Ah, now it is beginning to make sense. So, in effect, this was like a hit for not paying protection money to punish the business and warn other businesses?

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

• 1 year later...

Bump! With the ETA announcing the end of their cease fire as of today, does this change anything for the Basque region? I am arriving on Sunday, (Bilbao), what is the significance? Do they still bomb their own? Do they announce what areas to avoid? I have been to Spain a few times and have never let it influence me before, but reading this thread makes me wonder!

Edited to add, I just noticed this thread was in the wines section, maybe it should be in Spain section?

Edited by raisab (log)

Paris is a mood...a longing you didn't know you had, until it was answered.

-An American in Paris

ETA rarely bomb their own, individual shootings are used far more for this.Bombings are often against Spanish or French owned targets or non-human targets to dissuade tourists.My advice would be not to worry and go regardless, avoid any areas with strong pro-ETA graffiti.

For the many americans about to send abusive pms to me for advocating a visit to a country which "supports terrorism" I suggest you check out a bit more about the Government's fight against ETA over the last 40 years.