• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner at Aux Batifolles

These places both still open, I'm assuming?  It was hard to find info via Google.

My boyfriend is coming to visit next week and it sounds like he'd enjoy it.

If you enter 'aux batifolles' into Google, you'll get plenty of listings and a few reviews, although John Lethlean's review on TheAge website is a few years old. But most of the reviews are glowingly good. I used to live down the street from the restaurant and it was always full when we went past.

• 3 months later...

Had dinner there a few nights ago with a friend.

We shared a smoked duck salad as an entree, I had the Veal Blanquette and he had the Venison in a blackberry sauce, finished with a tarte tatin for dessert.

The blanquette knocked me out of the ball park. Amazing, understated flavour. The rest of the stuff was OK, not great.

PS: I am a guy.

We ate there for the first time a couple of months ago (inspired by this thread), and were very impressed :)

I had french onion soup for entree and sheol had steak tartare, then we shared cassoulet and slow-cooked rabbit with noodles for mains. Oh, and some steamed veg and frites on the side. Getting full, we went for dessert anyway - profiteroles for me and tarte tatin for sheol.

We immediately put the place on our favourite-restaurants list and will be taking our families there for sheol's birthday next week :)

There Will Be Bloody Marys