• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines for Thanksgiving

Cook456

BUBBLY! Prosecco, champagne, doesn't matter... :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I am going with a 2003 Moulin-a-Vent Cuvee Prestige from Duboeuf.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Zinfandel? Reisling?  Pinot Noir?

Should we assume that turkey is on the menu?

My personal favorite is whatever my friend Mark decides to buy a case of and leave on my back porch (nature's wine-cooler) the night before. Of course, we usually have such a grab-bag of stuff that any pretense of precisely matching food and wine pretty much goes out the door.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Beaujolais Nouveau, hands down.  Terrifically versatile, and light enough to work with all of the hefty portions of food on Turkey Day.

I would definitely agree with Beaujolais Nouveau. Not only does the fruit and freshness go with the Thanksgiving menu, it's also got that seasonal 'harvest' quality going for it.

I don't agree entirely with the bubbly idea -- some like sparkling wine with food, but others don't.

There's a section on wine choices for Thanksgiving in our Foodie Craze Thanksgiving Guide, available on the Freebies for Foodies page on the Trivia Craze lwebsite: url below.

Neil

Trivia Craze LLC

http://www.triviacraze.com

Creators of Foodie Craze,

The fun trivia game for food lovers

All the publicity states that this will be a very good year for Beaujolais Nouveau. A good French rose is quite enjoyable on Thanksgiving, especially if you are inside with the oven and stove on, this will cool things off as you cook. A good Riesling isn't bad either.

Heuriger Wein is mein Lieblingswein!

I'm a fan of bringing out the whites with interesting flavor profiles to go along with the roast turkey. Scheurebe, gruner veltliner and Savennieres are some of my favorite whites for Thanksgiving. For reds, I like cru Beaujolais and dolcetto as well as Pinot Noir.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

OK, So far it's Billicart Salmon Rose with a Leek and Gruyere Tart to take the bite off hunger at , say, noontime.

Beaujolais Nouveau is the red choice, for the main course, but I'd like a white, too...

Edited by Cook456 (log)

i know people who choose beaujolais nouveau to serve with their meal because they want to get into the spirit and all of that, yet, they're of the opinion that it's not a particularly good food wine and they don't even like the stuff. i agree with them, except for the part about serving it with the meal.

i try to stick to american wines an this uniquely american holiday. fruit forward wines and rieslings are what i generally pour for the table. it's one of the few meals where i go out of the way to pour a white and a red, and happily slurp on each depending on what was just in my mouth, or what is about to be put in my mouth.

no doubt some port from Prager Port will come out with some cheese before the meal, or dessert afterwards.

I'm a fan of bringing out the whites with interesting flavor profiles to go along with the roast turkey.  Scheurebe, gruner veltliner and Savennieres are some of my favorite whites for Thanksgiving.  For reds, I like cru Beaujolais and dolcetto as well as Pinot Noir.

I agree with Katie. Whites, usually Chenin Blanc, Riesling, Viognier, Pinot Gris, etc.

Reds are Pinot, Rhone or ......

Happy Bird Day to all,

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

Beaujolais Nouveau????????

What a fraud! Its barely fermented grape juice. Our french friends are laughing all the way to the bank. If you are going to drink Beaujolais , at least drink a Cru Beaujolais. And if you can ,look for a microproducer and stay away from Georges Duboeuf...all his Beaujolais are innoculated with the same Duboeuf yeast that makes the wines smell like bananas....bleccchhhhhh!!!!!

Me I'm drinking aromatic whites (Riesling, gruner and sb) and pinot Noir. I've given up on Zins for thanksgiving because of the the high alcohol blowtorch factor.

I long for the old days when zins had UNDER 14% alcohol.

Happy Thanksgiving..especially to you Phil.

Jeff Davis

Edited by alembic54 (log)

i know people who choose beaujolais nouveau to serve with their meal because they want to get into the spirit and all of that, yet, they're of the opinion that it's not a particularly good food wine and they don't even like the stuff.  i agree with them, except for the part about serving it with the meal.

i try to stick to american wines an this uniquely american holiday.  fruit forward wines and rieslings are what i generally pour for the table.  it's one of the few meals where i go out of the way to pour a white and a red, and happily slurp on each depending on what was just in my mouth, or what is about to be put in my mouth. 

no doubt some port from Prager Port will come out with some cheese before the meal, or dessert afterwards.

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmm....Prager. Have you ever tried their white port named Aria? Yummm! Visited them in Napa a while back too.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmm....Prager.  Have you ever tried their white port named Aria?  Yummm!  Visited them in Napa a while back too.

sitting on a 2001 right now. also have a dry golden and a ruby red from my last trip. i'm thinking 2 of those won't make it past the holiday weekend. :biggrin:

like an idiot i sat on a 98 aria until, well, until last month, mostly because i forgot i had the damned thing. had to dump it.

they're moving the operation north a bit (calistoga, iirc), and rumor has it they've been bought by someone bigger. not to fear, though, the tasting room will stay put, and jim prager's sons will remain, from what i understand (methinks Jim retired, or at least scaled back his involvement...just a guess).